Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Automatic Adding Daily

Hello, I am just wondering if it is possible to make it so that the numbers
in my spreadsheet increase by 1 everyday, without me having to go in and
manually change them everyday, as this is tedious.
Any Help Here?

(I am not sure which version it is, but its either 2007 or 2008)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Is that every number in every cell in every worksheet in your workbook or
just some of them?

Mike

"Jess" wrote:

Hello, I am just wondering if it is possible to make it so that the numbers
in my spreadsheet increase by 1 everyday, without me having to go in and
manually change them everyday, as this is tedious.
Any Help Here?

(I am not sure which version it is, but its either 2007 or 2008)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

For one cell this seems reasonable, but for an entire spreadsheet?

1. Say it was one cell, A1, and the current value as of today is 200
replace the value 200 with the formula
=200+TODAY()-39781

Starting tomorrow this cell will increase by 1 each day.

Its only going to be automatic if you use a formula or write code.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Jess" wrote:

Hello, I am just wondering if it is possible to make it so that the numbers
in my spreadsheet increase by 1 everyday, without me having to go in and
manually change them everyday, as this is tedious.
Any Help Here?

(I am not sure which version it is, but its either 2007 or 2008)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This helps a bunch, but as I am really new at excel, I really don't know
where to begin.
Say it says 751. I want it to change daily, without me even having to open
the document...
Will this work? And can you guide me through the process a little more
thoroughly? As if I was a two year old. lol

Thanks again for such a quick response!

"Jess" wrote:

Hello, I am just wondering if it is possible to make it so that the numbers
in my spreadsheet increase by 1 everyday, without me having to go in and
manually change them everyday, as this is tedious.
Any Help Here?

(I am not sure which version it is, but its either 2007 or 2008)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I also did your example, and all the shows up on my spreadsheet is:
18/07/1900
what does this mean?

"Jess" wrote:

Hello, I am just wondering if it is possible to make it so that the numbers
in my spreadsheet increase by 1 everyday, without me having to go in and
manually change them everyday, as this is tedious.
Any Help Here?

(I am not sure which version it is, but its either 2007 or 2008)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

First it won't change while the document is closed, but when you open the
document in 5 days it will adjust by 5, if that's what you want.

Suppose the number you want to automatically change is 751 and it is in cell
A1

replace the entry in cell A1 with the formula =751+TODAY()-39781

39781 is todays date as a number. It will remain fixed. The TODAY()
function returns todays date, in this case as a number. But today is
dynamic, tomorrow it will return tomorrows date. Each day is 1 greater than
the prior in Excel's date storage method. So tomorrow the TODAY will return
39782 and when you subtract 39781 from it you get 1. So =781+1. Each day
TODAY() is one greater but your starting date remains fixed at 39781.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Jess" wrote:

Hello, I am just wondering if it is possible to make it so that the numbers
in my spreadsheet increase by 1 everyday, without me having to go in and
manually change them everyday, as this is tedious.
Any Help Here?

(I am not sure which version it is, but its either 2007 or 2008)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The formula suggested was =200+TODAY()-39781 if the value today was 200.
Can you not work out what to do with the formula if the value today is 751?
Format the cell as General (or as number with no decimal places).
--
David Biddulph

"Jess" wrote:

Hello, I am just wondering if it is possible to make it so that the
numbers
in my spreadsheet increase by 1 everyday, without me having to go in
and
manually change them everyday, as this is tedious.
Any Help Here?

(I am not sure which version it is, but its either 2007 or 2008)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

WHen I do this, will it show me the original number that I wanted? Say if I
need to print it out on any given day, would it show up as
756 5 days from now?

"Jess" wrote:

Hello, I am just wondering if it is possible to make it so that the numbers
in my spreadsheet increase by 1 everyday, without me having to go in and
manually change them everyday, as this is tedious.
Any Help Here?

(I am not sure which version it is, but its either 2007 or 2008)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jess,

Format the cell for general to show 200.

18/07/1900 is the 200nd day of Excel's date system, where each day since Dec
31, 1899 counts as 1. (That is why today is 39781.) When you entered your
formual, Excel saw that you had a date function, and automatically formatted
the
cell as a date.

For any number, use a formula like

=NumberDesired +TODAY()-39781

So, to get 751 today, and 752 tomorrow, use

=751+TODAY()-39781

HTH,
Bernie,
MS Excel MVP