Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default If statements

Ok, here's one that has me stumped and hoping someone can help. Let me see
if I can explain what I am trying to do. I have two conditions in cells C8 &
H8, both are numeric values. I8 will show a text value with the result of the
first two conditions. My problem is that this is a really large formula
because cell G8 is a range between 0 and 6 and H8 is a percentage. For
example...
G8 H8 I8
0-1 30-40% Successful
1-2 40-50% Successful
2-3 50-60% Successful
3-4 60-70% Successful
4-5 70-80% Successful
5-6 80-90% Successful
6+ <80% Does Not Meet
80-89% Inconsistent
90-114% Successful
Etc.
Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Have a look at VLOOKUP, MATCH and INDEX in Excel Help - should give
you some ideas (though you will need to tidy up your table a bit).

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 25, 7:02*pm, jonssmaster
wrote:
Ok, here's one that has me stumped and hoping someone can help. *Let me see
if I can explain what I am trying to do. I have two conditions in cells C8 &
H8, both are numeric values. I8 will show a text value with the result of the
first two conditions. *My problem is that this is a really large formula
because cell G8 is a range between 0 and 6 and H8 is a percentage. For
example...
G8 * * * * * * *H8 * * * * * * * * *I8
0-1 * * * * * 30-40% * * * Successful
1-2 * * * * * 40-50% * * * Successful
2-3 * * * * * 50-60% * * * Successful
3-4 * * * * * 60-70% * * * Successful
4-5 * * * * * 70-80% * * * Successful
5-6 * * * * * 80-90% * * * Successful
6+ * * * * * *<80% * * * * *Does Not Meet
* * * * * * * * 80-89% * * * Inconsistent
* * * * * * * * 90-114% * * Successful
Etc.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just to make sure I understand you correctly.

G8 and H8 will be selectable list boxes?

and as a result of those 2 fields you want I8 to display either Successful,
Does not meet, or Inconsistent.

Is that correct?

"jonssmaster" wrote:

Ok, here's one that has me stumped and hoping someone can help. Let me see
if I can explain what I am trying to do. I have two conditions in cells C8 &
H8, both are numeric values. I8 will show a text value with the result of the
first two conditions. My problem is that this is a really large formula
because cell G8 is a range between 0 and 6 and H8 is a percentage. For
example...
G8 H8 I8
0-1 30-40% Successful
1-2 40-50% Successful
2-3 50-60% Successful
3-4 60-70% Successful
4-5 70-80% Successful
5-6 80-90% Successful
6+ <80% Does Not Meet
80-89% Inconsistent
90-114% Successful
Etc.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I started looking at this yesterday when you posted, and I have to say this
is a tough one.

What I was thinking is that you might want to expand your table a bit and
have breaks instead of ranges. Something like this...

10% 20% 30% 40%
1 X
2 X
3 X
4 X

Take a look at index match he
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctio...tml#IndexMatch

The other idea I have is for you to handle each comparison seperately and
assign a score to each. For example, if the data point falls in the 3-4
range give it a score of 1, and if it also falls in 20-30% give that a score
of 1. Then add both together, the final comparison would be something like
=IF(a2=1,"Successful",IF(a2=2,"blah blah blah...

--
If my posting was helpful, please click the "Yes" button.

ROCK ON!,

Scott