Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Alternative of Vlookup function which improves speed

I have my data table in one sheet named "CODE" and lookup value table named
"INDEX" in another. I have this formula
=IF(A4="","",VLOOKUP(A4,INDEX!$A$3:$C$1872,3,FALSE ))
which runs down to 19000 in sheet "CODE". It takes a lot of time to
recalcualte/save. I think the vlookup is causing the workbook to slow down.
What function could be used instead of vlookup to improve the calculation
speed. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Here are three Microsoft sites addressing this topic:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825012
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.10).aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/72622

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"shabutt" wrote:

I have my data table in one sheet named "CODE" and lookup value table named
"INDEX" in another. I have this formula
=IF(A4="","",VLOOKUP(A4,INDEX!$A$3:$C$1872,3,FALSE ))
which runs down to 19000 in sheet "CODE". It takes a lot of time to
recalcualte/save. I think the vlookup is causing the workbook to slow down.
What function could be used instead of vlookup to improve the calculation
speed. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

It's a pity that nowadays we get links instead of real answers. I didn't
progress much reading these links. Sorry. Still looking for answer.

"shabutt" wrote:

I have my data table in one sheet named "CODE" and lookup value table named
"INDEX" in another. I have this formula
=IF(A4="","",VLOOKUP(A4,INDEX!$A$3:$C$1872,3,FALSE ))
which runs down to 19000 in sheet "CODE". It takes a lot of time to
recalcualte/save. I think the vlookup is causing the workbook to slow down.
What function could be used instead of vlookup to improve the calculation
speed. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

An INDEX/MATCH combination can often be faster than VLOOKUP, so try
this:

=IF(A4="","",INDEX(INDEX!$C$3:$C$1872,MATCH(A4,IND EX!$A$3:$A$1872,0)))

Hope this helps.

Pete

"shabutt" wrote:
I have my data table in one sheet named "CODE" and lookup value table named
"INDEX" in another. I have this formula
=IF(A4="","",VLOOKUP(A4,INDEX!$A$3:$C$1872,3,FALSE ))
which runs down to 19000 in sheet "CODE". It takes a lot of time to
recalcualte/save. I think the vlookup is causing the workbook to slow down.
What function could be used instead of vlookup to improve the calculation
speed. Please help.- Hide quoted text -