Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count if in a Range

I need to calculate how many numbered surveys have been returned for each
subgroup: SO... count how many (total) are in the range (A1:C20) that fall
within specified ranges. So that I can enter the # of the survey returned in
the range and have it tell me how many in each subgroup have been returned
and what the % of return is (we need 80%).

Range Name: Surveys
Subgroups of Survey #s: 629-635, 636-679, 680-696, etc.
The answer should be:
629-635 =2 29%
636-679 =5 12%
680-696 =8 50%

I have tried variations of countif but can't figure out how to work in the
range of numbers to search and the totalling. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
--
SharonT
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

First count the returns for each group like this

=COUNTIF(A1:C20,"=629")-COUNTIF(A1:C20,"635")

Change the numbers for the different groups.

With regard to percentages I don't understand how your calculating these.
Why does 2 in 1 group = 29% compared to 8 in another = 50%

Mike

"SharonT" wrote:

I need to calculate how many numbered surveys have been returned for each
subgroup: SO... count how many (total) are in the range (A1:C20) that fall
within specified ranges. So that I can enter the # of the survey returned in
the range and have it tell me how many in each subgroup have been returned
and what the % of return is (we need 80%).

Range Name: Surveys
Subgroups of Survey #s: 629-635, 636-679, 680-696, etc.
The answer should be:
629-635 =2 29%
636-679 =5 12%
680-696 =8 50%

I have tried variations of countif but can't figure out how to work in the
range of numbers to search and the totalling. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
--
SharonT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Mike,
the %, from 629-635 is 7 total surveys with 2 returned, 2/7 = .2857
from 680-696 is 16, so 8/16 = .5
--
SharonT