DavidL

Default Conditional Formatting, reference another column

I have two columns that I want to format with a background
color when a certain condition is met for one column
(column H).

If the cell value which is a text string in H10 is LEGAL
FEES, then I want this cell formatted with a background
color (I did this with no problem). When cell H10 has
LEGAL FEES in it and is formatted with a background color,
I want C10 formatted the same color. I cannot make that
happen to cell C10.

Is this possible?
thanks,
david
Patti

Will this work:

Highlight column C, select conditional formatting, choose 'Formula Is' and
enter

=countif(H1,"Legal Fees")=1

This should format the cells in column C if the corresponding cell in column
H has Legal Fees in it.

"DavidL" wrote:

I have two columns that I want to format with a background
color when a certain condition is met for one column
(column H).

If the cell value which is a text string in H10 is LEGAL
FEES, then I want this cell formatted with a background
color (I did this with no problem). When cell H10 has
LEGAL FEES in it and is formatted with a background color,
I want C10 formatted the same color. I cannot make that
happen to cell C10.

Is this possible?
thanks,
david

JB2K

David,
I just learned this today. If you want c10 to format itself based on the
value of h10, then do the following:

Select c10
ToolsConditional Formating
change "Cell Value is" to "Formula Is"
type =h10="LEGAL FEES"

OK out of it and you're done....

"DavidL" wrote:

I have two columns that I want to format with a background
color when a certain condition is met for one column
(column H).

If the cell value which is a text string in H10 is LEGAL
FEES, then I want this cell formatted with a background
color (I did this with no problem). When cell H10 has
LEGAL FEES in it and is formatted with a background color,
I want C10 formatted the same color. I cannot make that
happen to cell C10.

Is this possible?
thanks,
david

JB2K

If this is a repost, then I'm sorry, but I posted an answer a while back and
it never showed up on my side...

If you would like to have c10 format itself based on h10, then select c10,
choose conditional formating, change "cell value is" to "formula is", type
=h10="LEGAL FEES".

You're done!