Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Linking to information within a cell

I am trying to link to the information within a cell instead of the cell
location. The reason that I need to do this is that the master copy is going
to be changed, (I.E.: added to and some deletions so if it is linked to the
location such A1 or A2 then whatever moves down or up will be the wrong
information. I have in my worksheet Standard numbers such as 12.3.5 , I would
like to just link to the standard # so that if it gets moved the information
in my other worksheet that I have it linked to will stay the same or update
when my master is updated. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for getting back to me Sean I will certainly try that. I have one
more question would the formula be =indirectmaster!(A1)?
"Sean Timmons" wrote:

Sounds like you want...

=INDIRECT("A1")

"charob" wrote:

I am trying to link to the information within a cell instead of the cell
location. The reason that I need to do this is that the master copy is going
to be changed, (I.E.: added to and some deletions so if it is linked to the
location such A1 or A2 then whatever moves down or up will be the wrong
information. I have in my worksheet Standard numbers such as 12.3.5 , I would
like to just link to the standard # so that if it gets moved the information
in my other worksheet that I have it linked to will stay the same or update
when my master is updated. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

actually, you'd go with

=indirect("master!A1")

that should help you!

"charob" wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me Sean I will certainly try that. I have one
more question would the formula be =indirectmaster!(A1)?
"Sean Timmons" wrote:

Sounds like you want...

=INDIRECT("A1")

"charob" wrote:

I am trying to link to the information within a cell instead of the cell
location. The reason that I need to do this is that the master copy is going
to be changed, (I.E.: added to and some deletions so if it is linked to the
location such A1 or A2 then whatever moves down or up will be the wrong
information. I have in my worksheet Standard numbers such as 12.3.5 , I would
like to just link to the standard # so that if it gets moved the information
in my other worksheet that I have it linked to will stay the same or update
when my master is updated. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sean:
I tried that and got #REF . Am I doing something wrong?
"Sean Timmons" wrote:

actually, you'd go with

=indirect("master!A1")

that should help you!

"charob" wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me Sean I will certainly try that. I have one
more question would the formula be =indirectmaster!(A1)?
"Sean Timmons" wrote:

Sounds like you want...

=INDIRECT("A1")

"charob" wrote:

I am trying to link to the information within a cell instead of the cell
location. The reason that I need to do this is that the master copy is going
to be changed, (I.E.: added to and some deletions so if it is linked to the
location such A1 or A2 then whatever moves down or up will be the wrong
information. I have in my worksheet Standard numbers such as 12.3.5 , I would
like to just link to the standard # so that if it gets moved the information
in my other worksheet that I have it linked to will stay the same or update
when my master is updated. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Did you place the quotes around your reference as below?

"charob" wrote:

Sean:
I tried that and got #REF . Am I doing something wrong?
"Sean Timmons" wrote:

actually, you'd go with

=indirect("master!A1")

that should help you!

"charob" wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me Sean I will certainly try that. I have one
more question would the formula be =indirectmaster!(A1)?
"Sean Timmons" wrote:

Sounds like you want...

=INDIRECT("A1")