Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count Records

I hv a list of records in Column A which may be duplicated more than once.
What I'd like to do is count the number of record in the list which start the
counter by 0,1,2,3... and provide the result in Column B

here's a sample of the list:-
Column A Column B
ABC0001 0
ABC0001 1
ABC0001 2
ABD0001 0
ABD0001 1
ABE0001 0
ABE0001 1
ABE0001 2
ABE0001 3

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi.

In cell B2, enter =countif($A$$2:A2,A2)

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Simon" wrote in message
I hv a list of records in Column A which may be duplicated more than once.
What I'd like to do is count the number of record in the list which start
the
counter by 0,1,2,3... and provide the result in Column B

here's a sample of the list:-
Column A Column B
ABC0001 0
ABC0001 1
ABC0001 2
ABD0001 0
ABD0001 1
ABE0001 0
ABE0001 1
ABE0001 2
ABE0001 3

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Ashish,

Thks for your advise, but it only start with the counter "1" instead of "0".
How can I make use of this?

Cheers
Simon

"Simon" wrote in message
I hv a list of records in Column A which may be duplicated more than once.
What I'd like to do is count the number of record in the list which start
the
counter by 0,1,2,3... and provide the result in Column B

here's a sample of the list:-
Column A Column B
ABC0001 0
ABC0001 1
ABC0001 2
ABD0001 0
ABD0001 1
ABE0001 0
ABE0001 1
ABE0001 2
ABE0001 3

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi.

Try this.

=countif($A$$1:A1,A2)

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Simon" wrote in message
I hv a list of records in Column A which may be duplicated more than
once.
What I'd like to do is count the number of record in the list which
start
the
counter by 0,1,2,3... and provide the result in Column B

here's a sample of the list:-
Column A Column B
ABC0001 0
ABC0001 1
ABC0001 2
ABD0001 0
ABD0001 1
ABE0001 0
ABE0001 1
ABE0001 2
ABE0001 3

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It works now.

With great thks

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi.

Try this.

=countif($A$$1:A1,A2)

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Simon" wrote in message
I hv a list of records in Column A which may be duplicated more than
once.
What I'd like to do is count the number of record in the list which
start
the
counter by 0,1,2,3... and provide the result in Column B

here's a sample of the list:-
Column A Column B
ABC0001 0
ABC0001 1