Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Merging two spreadsheets

I have two spreadsheets that I need to merge. One has the student's name and
ID number, and the other one only has the ID number. Is there a way to merge
the two sheets so that the ID number is matched up with the student name?
The sheet with the ID numbers only involves over 5,000; the sheet with the
name and ID number is under 600.
--
Briggs
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try

VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$D$1000,2,FALSE)

where A1 is in the sheet with the ID's only and is the first ID, the range
on Sheet2 from A1:D1000 is your student info range, your's will be different.
ID must be in the first column of this sheet. The 2 tells Excel to return
the info from the second column - that might be First Name. You might change
this to 3 if the Last Name was in the third column of the table A1:D1000 .

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Briggs" wrote:

I have two spreadsheets that I need to merge. One has the student's name and
ID number, and the other one only has the ID number. Is there a way to merge
the two sheets so that the ID number is matched up with the student name?
The sheet with the ID numbers only involves over 5,000; the sheet with the
name and ID number is under 600.
--
Briggs

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming that you have ID only on Sheet1 and student's name and ID on Sheet2,
place Shane's formula in cell B1 of Sheet1. ie beside cell A1 which you have
the ID.

hope this help

xlmate

"Briggs" wrote:

I have two spreadsheets that I need to merge. One has the student's name and
ID number, and the other one only has the ID number. Is there a way to merge
the two sheets so that the ID number is matched up with the student name?
The sheet with the ID numbers only involves over 5,000; the sheet with the
name and ID number is under 600.
--
Briggs

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks! I put the formula in cell B1 of Sheet 1, but how do I merge sheet 2
into sheet 1 to come up with the results? The way it is right now, Sheet1
has the ID only in column A, and the VLOOKUP formula in cell B1. Sheet2 has
the ID in column A and the student last name in column B, and student first
name in column C.
--
Briggs

"Briggs" wrote:

I have two spreadsheets that I need to merge. One has the student's name and
ID number, and the other one only has the ID number. Is there a way to merge
the two sheets so that the ID number is matched up with the student name?
The sheet with the ID numbers only involves over 5,000; the sheet with the
name and ID number is under 600.
--
Briggs

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

the formula doesn't merge the 2 sheets together, it return the value in a table
corresponding to the lookup value.
the formula should return the last name in B1. What is the result you get?

"Briggs" wrote:

I have two spreadsheets that I need to merge. One has the student's name and
ID number, and the other one only has the ID number. Is there a way to merge
the two sheets so that the ID number is matched up with the student name?
The sheet with the ID numbers only involves over 5,000; the sheet with the
name and ID number is under 600.
--
Briggs

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That's precisely my dilemma! I don't know what to do with the formula to
give me results! I'm such a novice at this, I apologize for sounding so
dense. I have the formula in cell B1 of sheet 1. I don't know what to do
with it!!!
--
Briggs

"Briggs" wrote:

I have two spreadsheets that I need to merge. One has the student's name and
ID number, and the other one only has the ID number. Is there a way to merge
the two sheets so that the ID number is matched up with the student name?
The sheet with the ID numbers only involves over 5,000; the sheet with the
name and ID number is under 600.
--
Briggs

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

assuming that Sheet2, you have the following table

Col A Col B Col C
ID Last Name First Name
123 Briggs S
456 MS L
789 ABC XYZ

In Sheet1, assuming you have no header row, place the formula
as follow in B1 and press Enter.
This will return Briggs in B1
Copy down as far as your data is. You may need to adjust $A$1:$D$1000
according to your table

Col A Col B
123 =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$D$1000,2,FALSE)

hope this help.

"Briggs" wrote:

I have two spreadsheets that I need to merge. One has the student's name and
ID number, and the other one only has the ID number. Is there a way to merge
the two sheets so that the ID number is matched up with the student name?
The sheet with the ID numbers only involves over 5,000; the sheet with the
name and ID number is under 600.
--
Briggs

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Cheers" back at you. :)
--
Briggs

"franciz" wrote:

glad I am of help. cheers,

"Briggs" wrote:

I have two spreadsheets that I need to merge. One has the student's name and
ID number, and the other one only has the ID number. Is there a way to merge
the two sheets so that the ID number is matched up with the student name?
The sheet with the ID numbers only involves over 5,000; the sheet with the
name and ID number is under 600.
--
Briggs

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

'Hi ShaneDevenshire
'I read your Post
'Please help me merging sheet for my requirement as follows

''''''''''''please help me to find the result as shown as folliows
'Sheet1
Header 1 Header 2 Header 3 Header 4 Header 5 Header 6 Header 7
a1 b1 c1
a2 b2 c2
a3 b3 c3
a4 b4 c4
a5 b5 c5
a6 b6 c6
a7 b7 c7
a8 b8 c8
a9 b9 c9
a10 b10 c10
a11 b11 c11
a12 b12 c12
a13 b13 c13
a14 b14 c14
a15 b15 c15
a16 b16 c16
a17 b17 c17

'Sheet2
Header 1 Header 2 Header 3 Header 4 Header 5 Header 6 Header 7
a1 b1 c1
a2 b2 c2 d2
a3 b3 c3
a4 b4 c4
a5 b5 c5
a6 b6 c6 d6
a7 b7 c7
a8 b8 c8
a9 b9 c9
a10 b10 c10
a11 b11 c11 d11
a12 b12 c12
a13 b13 c13
a14 b14 c14
a15 b15 c15
a16 b16 c16
a17 b17 c17 d17

'Sheet3
Header 1 Header 2 Header 3 Header 4 Header 5 Header 6 Header 7
a1 b1 c1 d1 e1
a2 b2 c2 e2
a3 b3 c3 d3 e3
a4 b4 c4
a5 b5 c5 d5
a6 b6 c6 e6
a7 b7 c7 d7 e7
a8 b8 c8
a9 b9 c9
a10 b10 c10 d10 e10
a11 b11 c11
a12 b12 c12 d12
a13 b13 c13 d13 e13
a14 b14 c14
a15 b15 c15
a16 b16 c16 d16 e16
a17 b17 c17

'RESULT_SHEET
Header 1 Header 2 Header 3 Header 4 Header 5 Header 6 Header 7
a1 b1 c1 d1 e1
a2 b2 c2 d2 e2
a3 b3 c3 d3 e3
a4 b4 c4