Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Funtions Not Taking Effect

I'm attempting to use the Trim function on a column of text data and
it's having no effect. Neither are the left or replace functions.
What are the possible reasons for this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

More information is needed. What does your data currently look like. What
results are you getting?
--
** John C **

"BrownsFan" wrote:

I'm attempting to use the Trim function on a column of text data and
it's having no effect. Neither are the left or replace functions.
What are the possible reasons for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"BrownsFan" wrote:
I'm attempting to use the Trim function on a column of text data and
it's having no effect. *Neither are the left or replace functions.
What are the possible reasons for this?- Hide quoted text -

I think I just found a fix. I was trying to trim a cell with a vaule
of " F012345 " formatted as text to a blank cell formatted as text.
When I changed the format of the blank cell to general, the trim
function worked. It doesn't make sense to me and I don't think I
should have to reformat the blank cell to general in order to make it
work.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel will assume that the format of the first cell you refer to in a
formula is the format you want to use in the cell with the formula -
this is often incorrect, as you have found.

Pete

"BrownsFan" wrote:
I'm attempting to use the Trim function on a column of text data and
it's having no effect. *Neither are the left or replace functions.
What are the possible reasons for this?- Hide quoted text -

I think I just found a fix. *I was trying to trim a cell with a vaule
of " F012345 *" formatted as text to a blank cell formatted as text.
When I changed the format of the blank cell to general, the trim
function worked. *It doesn't make sense to me and I don't think I
should have to reformat the blank cell to general in order to make it
work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

TRIM only works for space created using the spacebar character, although
that doesn't sound like that was your problem, it's still good to know.

Along with TRIM you might also consider CLEAN.

The TRIM function removes all leading and trailing spaces and all but one of
the spaces between words.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire