Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Funtions Not Taking Effect

Excel will assume that the format of the first cell you refer to in a
formula is the format you want to use in the cell with the formula -
this is often incorrect, as you have found.

Pete

On Nov 10, 5:18*pm, BrownsFan wrote:
On Nov 10, 12:07*pm, John C <johnc@stateofdenial wrote:

More information is needed. What does your data currently look like. What
results are you getting?
--
** John C **

"BrownsFan" wrote:
I'm attempting to use the Trim function on a column of text data and
it's having no effect. *Neither are the left or replace functions.
What are the possible reasons for this?- Hide quoted text -

I think I just found a fix. *I was trying to trim a cell with a vaule
of " F012345 *" formatted as text to a blank cell formatted as text.
When I changed the format of the blank cell to general, the trim
function worked. *It doesn't make sense to me and I don't think I
should have to reformat the blank cell to general in order to make it
work.