Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I separate and calculate a value in a cell with an IF

I am trying to calculate one cell with an hourly worked value (45), and want
to also calculate overtime from the same cell value. How do I accomplish
this? Can I use a nested IF statement or is this possible. If not do I use a
formula. I do not have a separate cell for hours worked, and a separate cell
for overtime they are included in the same cell in which I have to calculate
both scenarios.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 19:22:01 -0800, Peaches
wrote:

I am trying to calculate one cell with an hourly worked value (45), and want
to also calculate overtime from the same cell value. How do I accomplish
this? Can I use a nested IF statement or is this possible. If not do I use a
formula. I do not have a separate cell for hours worked, and a separate cell
for overtime they are included in the same cell in which I have to calculate
both scenarios.

If your Full Time hours is 40,
Salary is the Hourly Rate and
OTFactor is the multiplier of Salary for Overtime (e.g. 1.5) then

Regular Pay:

=Salary*MIN(40,HrsWrkd)

Overtime Pay:

=Salary*OTFactor*MAX(0,HrsWrkd-40)

Total Pay:

=Salary*MIN(40,HrsWrkd)+Salary*OTFactor*MAX(0,HrsW rkd-40)

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If 40 hours is the normal amount for regular hours:

A1 = 45

Regular hours: =MIN(40,A1)

OT hours: =MAX(0,A1-40)

--