Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default removing single items from list

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to remove the non duplicate items
from my list.

I have a rather large list that is separated by blank lines. Sometimes there
is a blank line, a line of data and another blank line. Other times there is
a blank line, 2 or more lines of data, then a blank line.

Can I write a formula in G5 that says if F4 and F6 are blank give me "*"..
then filter for the stars and delete those lines?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Put this in g1 and drag down and sort on tcolumn G and delete all rows that
evaluate as TRUE

=F1=""

Mike

"jenn" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to remove the non duplicate items
from my list.

I have a rather large list that is separated by blank lines. Sometimes there
is a blank line, a line of data and another blank line. Other times there is
a blank line, 2 or more lines of data, then a blank line.

Can I write a formula in G5 that says if F4 and F6 are blank give me "*"..
then filter for the stars and delete those lines?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming your data starts in F1, put this in G2 (notice that is G2, not G1)
and copy it down...

=IF(COUNTA(A1:A3)=1,TRUE,"")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"jenn" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to remove the non duplicate
items
from my list.

I have a rather large list that is separated by blank lines. Sometimes
there
is a blank line, a line of data and another blank line. Other times
there is
a blank line, 2 or more lines of data, then a blank line.

Can I write a formula in G5 that says if F4 and F6 are blank give me
"*"..
then filter for the stars and delete those lines?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

These are the result I get using the suggested formula and the following
data layout:

a TRUE

a TRUE
TRUE
TRUE
TRUE

TRUE

It seem that repeating blanks get removed which wasn't what you stated and
in the case of three consecutive blanks the outer two get remove, that doesnt
jive either. So my point is be sure this is what you want, because it is not
what you stated.

Good luck
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"jenn" wrote:

that's what I needed... thanks

"jenn" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to remove the non duplicate
items
from my list.

I have a rather large list that is separated by blank lines. Sometimes
there
is a blank line, a line of data and another blank line. Other times
there is
a blank line, 2 or more lines of data, then a blank line.

Can I write a formula in G5 that says if F4 and F6 are blank give me
"*"..
then filter for the stars and delete those lines?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Man, did I screw that one up! Thanks for catching it; I sure hope the OP
comes back to check this thread. This much more straight-forward formula
looks like it will actually do what the OP asked for...

=IF(AND(F1="",F2<"",F3=""),TRUE,"")

Again, it is placed in G2 and copied down (notice I corrected the references
to Column F as the OP originally asked for also).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote in
message ...
Hi,

These are the result I get using the suggested formula and the following
data layout:

a TRUE

a TRUE
TRUE
TRUE
TRUE

TRUE

It seem that repeating blanks get removed which wasn't what you stated and
in the case of three consecutive blanks the outer two get remove, that
doesnt
jive either. So my point is be sure this is what you want, because it is
not
what you stated.

Good luck
--