Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using SUMIF with criteria of cell containing a specific character

I am trying to use SUMIF with the criteria of a specific character (%) being
anywhere within the text of the cells in the criteria range. The character is
not always in the same place within the text and never starts with the
character so I was trying to use FIND but I couldn't come up with a way to do
it.
i.e. Summing column B cell values where column A cells have a "%" in it.
A B
1 Carl Smith 10
2 Jim Hill% 15
3 Steve Camp 5
4 Mary% Levy 30

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can use wildcards with SUMIF, so try this:

=SUMIF(A:A,"*%*",B:B)

Hope this helps.

Pete