mcl

Default Search for a specific character in a cell in an if statement

OK, if I have a column of latitudes (for example) in this format 29-34-10N
where it's degrees minutes and seconds. I want to pull the N (or S) out and
put in in a new column. I could then just do a search and replace to remove
all the N's of S's from the original column. How could I set up an "if" to
do that? I assume it would look something like this: =if(search for
N,"N","S"). How or can I do the "search".

Frank Kabel

Hi
try using 'Data - Text to columns' to separate your data

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
"mcl" <marc.levine_at_no_spam_afccc.af.mil_no_spam schrieb im Newsbeitrag
OK, if I have a column of latitudes (for example) in this format 29-34-10N
where it's degrees minutes and seconds. I want to pull the N (or S) out
and
put in in a new column. I could then just do a search and replace to
remove
all the N's of S's from the original column. How could I set up an "if" to
do that? I assume it would look something like this: =if(search for
N,"N","S"). How or can I do the "search".

JE McGimpsey

One way:

Assuming that your formats are all 00-00-00x (where x = S or N)

Choose Data/Text to Columns/Fixed. Click next. Click just to the left of
the N/S. Click Finish.