Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help on several formulas

Hi,
I would like the formulas to generate the following results on excel 2003:

1. Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

2. Generate a random number within 1 to 100 which is multiple of 3.

3. Generate a random number between 100 and 1000.

4. Produce a random date in year 2005.

I would also want the answer from the question below:

What is the output (possible range) of the following formula?

=INT(RAND()*10) + INT(RAND()*20)+5

Thx in advance for all your help!

Best Regards,
Christopher

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is this homework?

Pete

On Nov 3, 3:45*pm, Christopher
wrote:
Hi,
I would like the formulas to generate the following results on excel 2003:

1. Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

2. Generate a random number within 1 to 100 which is multiple of 3.

3. Generate a random number between 100 and 1000.

4. Produce a random date in year 2005.

I would also want the answer from the question below:

What is the output (possible range) of the following formula?

=INT(RAND()*10) + INT(RAND()*20)+5

Thx in advance for all your help!

Best Regards,
Christopher

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

1) int(rand()*11)

2) =CEILING(RAND()*101,3)

3) =MAX(100,(INT(RAND()*1001)))

4)=DATE(2005,INT(RAND()*13),INT(RAND()*31))
"Christopher" wrote:

Hi,
I would like the formulas to generate the following results on excel 2003:

1. Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

2. Generate a random number within 1 to 100 which is multiple of 3.

3. Generate a random number between 100 and 1000.

4. Produce a random date in year 2005.

I would also want the answer from the question below:

What is the output (possible range) of the following formula?

=INT(RAND()*10) + INT(RAND()*20)+5

Thx in advance for all your help!

Best Regards,
Christopher

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, it's in fact a homework that neither my classmates or I know how to do,
and there fore I am posting some of my questions here seeking for help from
the community. I appologize to those who think I shouldn't post homework in
this forum.

P.S. may I ask a few more questions? ^.^

Generate a random number from 0 to 10 inclusively

Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

Thanks in advance!!

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Is this homework?

Pete

On Nov 3, 3:45 pm, Christopher
wrote:
Hi,
I would like the formulas to generate the following results on excel 2003:

1. Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

2. Generate a random number within 1 to 100 which is multiple of 3.

3. Generate a random number between 100 and 1000.

4. Produce a random date in year 2005.

I would also want the answer from the question below:

What is the output (possible range) of the following formula?

=INT(RAND()*10) + INT(RAND()*20)+5

Thx in advance for all your help!

Best Regards,
Christopher

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If it is homework then perhaps it is also English homework <g

1. Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

I read exclusively as meaning not 0 or 10

Similarly:

2. Generate a random number within 1 to 100

may also mean not 1 or 100

and:

3. Generate a random number between 100 and 1000.

may mean not the limits

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Christopher" wrote:

Hi,
I would like the formulas to generate the following results on excel
2003:

1. Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

2. Generate a random number within 1 to 100 which is multiple of 3.

3. Generate a random number between 100 and 1000.

4. Produce a random date in year 2005.

I would also want the answer from the question below:

What is the output (possible range) of the following formula?

=INT(RAND()*10) + INT(RAND()*20)+5

Thx in advance for all your help!

Best Regards,
Christopher

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, I'm not going to give you the exact answers, but have you tried
Excel Help for RAND and RANDBETWEEN? Some of the examples there might
help you.

You might also think about looking up the INT function.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 3, 4:06*pm, Christopher
wrote:
Yes, it's in fact a homework that neither my classmates or I know how to do,
and there fore I am posting some of my questions here seeking for help from
the community. *I appologize to those who think I shouldn't post homework in
this forum.

P.S. may I ask a few more questions? ^.^

* * * *Generate a random number from 0 to 10 inclusively

* * * *Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

Thanks in advance!!

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Is this homework?

Pete

On Nov 3, 3:45 pm, Christopher
wrote:
Hi,
I would like the formulas to generate the following results on excel 2003:

1. Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

2. Generate a random number within 1 to 100 which is multiple of 3.

3. Generate a random number between 100 and 1000.

4. Produce a random date in year 2005.

I would also want the answer from the question below:

What is the output (possible range) of the following formula?

=INT(RAND()*10) + INT(RAND()*20)+5

Thx in advance for all your help!

Best Regards,
Christopher- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Go to the offline microsoft help, more than adequate to meet your needs. Live
it, learn it, love it.
--
** John C **

"Christopher" wrote:

Yes, it's in fact a homework that neither my classmates or I know how to do,
and there fore I am posting some of my questions here seeking for help from
the community. I appologize to those who think I shouldn't post homework in
this forum.

P.S. may I ask a few more questions? ^.^

Generate a random number from 0 to 10 inclusively

Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

Thanks in advance!!

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Is this homework?

Pete

On Nov 3, 3:45 pm, Christopher
wrote:
Hi,
I would like the formulas to generate the following results on excel 2003:

1. Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

2. Generate a random number within 1 to 100 which is multiple of 3.

3. Generate a random number between 100 and 1000.

4. Produce a random date in year 2005.

I would also want the answer from the question below:

What is the output (possible range) of the following formula?

=INT(RAND()*10) + INT(RAND()*20)+5

Thx in advance for all your help!

Best Regards,
Christopher

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, I have. In fact we're restricted to use the RAND() and INT() functions
only. There are 23 students in my class and none of them know how to do it.
And therefore I'm seeking help in this forum.

Many thanks,
Christopher

wrote:
Yes, it's in fact a homework that neither my classmates or I know how to do,
and there fore I am posting some of my questions here seeking for help from
the community. I appologize to those who think I shouldn't post homework in
this forum.

P.S. may I ask a few more questions? ^.^

Generate a random number from 0 to 10 inclusively

Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

Thanks in advance!!

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Is this homework?

Pete

On Nov 3, 3:45 pm, Christopher
wrote:
Hi,
I would like the formulas to generate the following results on excel 2003:

1. Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

2. Generate a random number within 1 to 100 which is multiple of 3.

3. Generate a random number between 100 and 1000.

4. Produce a random date in year 2005.

I would also want the answer from the question below:

What is the output (possible range) of the following formula?

=INT(RAND()*10) + INT(RAND()*20)+5

Thx in advance for all your help!

Best Regards,
Christopher- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you have looked at Excel Help you will know that RAND produces a
random number greater than or equal to 0 and less than 1. You will
also know that INT rounds a number down to an integer, so that:

=INT(8.95) returns 8

So, consider what happens when you multiply RAND by 50 - you will get
a random number greater than or equal to 0 and less than 50, so that:

=INT(50*RAND())

would give you a random whole number between 0 and 49 inclusive. If
you were to add, say, 6 to this, so that you have:

=INT(50*RAND())+6

then you would get a random whole number between 6 and 55 inclusive.

You should be able to go on from there, particularly as XL Help tells
you that:

" ...
To generate a random real number between a and b, use:
RAND()*(b-a)+a
.... "

Hope this helps.

Pete

wrote:
Yes, it's in fact a homework that neither my classmates or I know how to do,
and there fore I am posting some of my questions here seeking for help from
the community. *I appologize to those who think I shouldn't post homework in
this forum.

P.S. may I ask a few more questions? ^.^

* * * *Generate a random number from 0 to 10 inclusively

* * * *Generate a random number from 0 to 10 exclusively

Thanks in advance!!

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Is this homework?

Pete