Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Type in m/d/y in one column and have day automatically in next col

I would like to enter month/day/year in column A then have the day
automatically come up in column B.
ie: enter 11/31/08 in column A then Friday automatically come up in column B.

Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Please uase the weekday() function. Explained in Excel's help menu

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Big Building 2008" wrote in
message ...
I would like to enter month/day/year in column A then have the day
automatically come up in column B.
ie: enter 11/31/08 in column A then Friday automatically come up in column
B.

Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

With a valid real date in A1, eg: 10/31/2008
In B1: =TEXT(A1,"dddd") will return the day: Friday

Note that your posted eg: 11/31/08 is an invalid date
--
Max
Singapore
"Big Building 2008" wrote:
I would like to enter month/day/year in column A then have the day
automatically come up in column B.
ie: enter 11/31/08 in column A then Friday automatically come up in column B.

Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

in B1 enter the formula =A1
then format the cell to DDDD. Choose Format, Cells, Number tab, Custom, and
type dddd into the Type line on the right.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Big Building 2008" wrote:

I would like to enter month/day/year in column A then have the day
automatically come up in column B.
ie: enter 11/31/08 in column A then Friday automatically come up in column B.

Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I wouldn't use an extra column of cells for this.

I'd just give the cell a custom format of something like:

dddd dd-mmmm-yyyy

So that one cell showed both the day of week and date.

Big Building 2008 wrote:

I would like to enter month/day/year in column A then have the day
automatically come up in column B.
ie: enter 11/31/08 in column A then Friday automatically come up in column B.

Is this possible?

--

Dave Peterson