Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tom tom is offline

Default Type data in one cell - and it automatically populates another cel

I'm looking for a formula (I think a formula, or some other way) whereby I
enter data in one cell on one worksheet and it simultaneously (or after a
keystroke or two) fills in the same data in a cell that I select on another
worksheet, all within the same workbook. E.g., I type in the name "Roger" in
cell C3 on sheet 1. I would have previously set up a condition in a formula
or some other way whereby anything I type in cell C3 of sheet 1 is repeated
in cell D4 of sheet 2. In other words, Excel does the "copying" on-the-fly
using my pre-determined cells, i.e., anything I type in C3 is automatically
filled in D4 of another sheet I specify.
--
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tom

In D4 of sheet2 enter =Sheet1!C3

Another way is to enter an = sign in D4 then switch to sheet1 and select C3 and
hit ENTER key.

And one more...........select C3 and switch to sheet2, select D4 and EditPaste
SpecialPaste LinkOKEsc.

In all cases, D4 will get the above formula.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:08:10 -0700, Tom wrote:

I'm looking for a formula (I think a formula, or some other way) whereby I
enter data in one cell on one worksheet and it simultaneously (or after a
keystroke or two) fills in the same data in a cell that I select on another
worksheet, all within the same workbook. E.g., I type in the name "Roger" in
cell C3 on sheet 1. I would have previously set up a condition in a formula
or some other way whereby anything I type in cell C3 of sheet 1 is repeated
in cell D4 of sheet 2. In other words, Excel does the "copying" on-the-fly
using my pre-determined cells, i.e., anything I type in C3 is automatically
filled in D4 of another sheet I specify.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To add to what Gord said, I often do something like this:
=if(isblank(Sheet1!C3),"",Sheet1!C3)
That way, you won't get a 0 in the cell in which the formula resides when
Sheet1!C3 is blank.

****************************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com
****************************

wrote:

I'm looking for a formula (I think a formula, or some other way) whereby I
enter data in one cell on one worksheet and it simultaneously (or after a
keystroke or two) fills in the same data in a cell that I select on
another
worksheet, all within the same workbook. E.g., I type in the name "Roger"
in
cell C3 on sheet 1. I would have previously set up a condition in a
formula
or some other way whereby anything I type in cell C3 of sheet 1 is
repeated
in cell D4 of sheet 2. In other words, Excel does the "copying"
on-the-fly
using my pre-determined cells, i.e., anything I type in C3 is
automatically
filled in D4 of another sheet I specify.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Anne.

I too often forget about warning posters of the zero issue and giving them a fix
as you have done.

Only drawback is a straight "paste links" won't add the error trap so you have
to build the first formula from scratch then copy.

Gord

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 23:19:46 -0400, "Anne Troy" wrote:

To add to what Gord said, I often do something like this:
=if(isblank(Sheet1!C3),"",Sheet1!C3)
That way, you won't get a 0 in the cell in which the formula resides when
Sheet1!C3 is blank.

****************************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com
****************************
.. .

wrote:

I'm looking for a formula (I think a formula, or some other way) whereby I
enter data in one cell on one worksheet and it simultaneously (or after a
keystroke or two) fills in the same data in a cell that I select on
another
worksheet, all within the same workbook. E.g., I type in the name "Roger"
in
cell C3 on sheet 1. I would have previously set up a condition in a
formula
or some other way whereby anything I type in cell C3 of sheet 1 is
repeated
in cell D4 of sheet 2. In other words, Excel does the "copying"
on-the-fly
using my pre-determined cells, i.e., anything I type in C3 is
automatically
filled in D4 of another sheet I specify.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

:)
Were you in Seattle? If yes, I'm so sorry I missed you.
I had a unique opportunity to crash and met so many others.
****************************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com
****************************

wrote:

To add to what Gord said, I often do something like this:
=if(isblank(Sheet1!C3),"",Sheet1!C3)
That way, you won't get a 0 in the cell in which the formula resides when
Sheet1!C3 is blank.

Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com