Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF function

I'm trying to use the "if" function to determine if two columns on two
different pages have the same value...I'm using
=if(B30=Budget!L23,"","ERROR). Even though both columns have the save total,
I continue to get the €śERROR€ť value. I've tried redoing all of the
calcuations, but it doesn't work. It used to work, but something has happened
and it no longer works. I even tried to check the format on both sheets,
changing it to currency, but it goes back to numbers???
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It might be that the numbers differ very slightly due to round-off. Try

=if(abs(B30-Budget!L23)<0.01,"","ERROR")

"LDousay" wrote in message
I'm trying to use the "if" function to determine if two columns on two
different pages have the same value...I'm using
=if(B30=Budget!L23,"","ERROR). Even though both columns have the save
total,
I continue to get the "ERROR" value. I've tried redoing all of the
calcuations, but it doesn't work. It used to work, but something has
happened
and it no longer works. I even tried to check the format on both sheets,
changing it to currency, but it goes back to numbers???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try

if(ROUND(B30,2)=ROUND(Budget!L23,2),"","ERROR")

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"LDousay" wrote:

I'm trying to use the "if" function to determine if two columns on two
different pages have the same value...I'm using
=if(B30=Budget!L23,"","ERROR). Even though both columns have the save total,
I continue to get the €śERROR€ť value. I've tried redoing all of the
calcuations, but it doesn't work. It used to work, but something has happened
and it no longer works. I even tried to check the format on both sheets,
changing it to currency, but it goes back to numbers???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ed Ed is offline

Hi,

You seem to be very good with formula. I am not sure that I will be able to
well explain what I'm looking for...since my mother tongue is French...but I
will try. Maybe you can help me as well.

I am trying to create an ''IF'' formula:
I would like to assign a number value to letters.

Ex:
column A line 1 = A and ''A'' refers to 80 (in column B)
column A line 2 = B and ''B'' refers to 75 (in column B)
column A line 1 = C and ''C'' refers to 70 (in column B)
column A line 1 = D and ''D'' refers to 65 (in column B)

In B15, should I write an A or any of the above letters (B, C or D), I would
like to have the result in C15. The result should be 80, or 75, or 70 or 65
depending on which letter I wrote down.

My best try is: =SI(B15=A2;$B$2)

But this is not enough and no matter what I added to my formula, it doesn't
work. I am going crazy with this....until I saw some of your comments...can
you help?

"LDousay" wrote:

I'm trying to use the "if" function to determine if two columns on two
different pages have the same value...I'm using
=if(B30=Budget!L23,"","ERROR). Even though both columns have the save total,
I continue to get the €śERROR€ť value. I've tried redoing all of the
calcuations, but it doesn't work. It used to work, but something has happened
and it no longer works. I even tried to check the format on both sheets,
changing it to currency, but it goes back to numbers???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Suppose your data is

A B
1 A 80
2 B 75
3 C 70
4 D 65

B15: A
C15: =VLOOKUP(B15,$A$1:$B$4,2,FALSE)

Hope this helps.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"LDousay" wrote:

I'm trying to use the "if" function to determine if two columns on two
different pages have the same value...I'm using
=if(B30=Budget!L23,"","ERROR). Even though both columns have the save total,
I continue to get the €śERROR€ť value. I've tried redoing all of the
calcuations, but it doesn't work. It used to work, but something has happened
and it no longer works. I even tried to check the format on both sheets,
changing it to currency, but it goes back to numbers???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ed Ed is offline

Hello,

My message is mostly to ShaneDevenshire!

You seem to be very good with formula. I am not sure that I will be able to
well explain what I'm looking for...since my mother tongue is French...but I
will try. Maybe you can help me as well.

I am trying to create an ''IF'' formula:
I would like to assign a number value to letters.

Ex:
column A line 1 = A and ''A'' refers to 80 (in column B)
column A line 2 = B and ''B'' refers to 75 (in column B)
column A line 3 = C and ''C'' refers to 70 (in column B)
column A line 4 = D and ''D'' refers to 65 (in column B)

In B15, should I write an A or any of the above letters (B, C or D), I would
like to have the result in C15. The result should be 80, or 75, or 70 or 65
depending on which letter I wrote down.

My best try is: =SI(B15=A2;$B$2)

But this is not enough and no matter what I added to my formula, it doesn't
work. I am going crazy with this....until I saw some of your comments...can
you help? I have no idea on how to make it work.