Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BWP BWP is offline

Default Can you perform calculations w/ cells that have both numbers and t

Hi:

I have a cell (A1) that has the following text:

2008 Tipping Fee = $72

I want to perform calculation that reference this 72, and then if I change
the tipping fee, all of the other cells will update. Is there a way I can
make a formula identify just the value in this cell? If not, is there a way
I can hide the input value, in this case, 72, somewhere on the spreadsheet?
- Thank you! BWP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

BWP wrote:
Hi:

I have a cell (A1) that has the following text:

2008 Tipping Fee = $72

I want to perform calculation that reference this 72, and then if I change
the tipping fee, all of the other cells will update. Is there a way I can
make a formula identify just the value in this cell? If not, is there a way
I can hide the input value, in this case, 72, somewhere on the spreadsheet?
- Thank you! BWP

=MID(A1,FIND("$",A1)+1,99)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I would not use a formula but rather Custom Format A1

FormatCellsNumberCustom

"Tipping Fee = "$#,##0.00

The just enter 72 or whatever number you wish and reference A1 in your
calculations.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:43:03 -0700, BWP
wrote:

Hi:

I have a cell (A1) that has the following text:

2008 Tipping Fee = $72

I want to perform calculation that reference this 72, and then if I change
the tipping fee, all of the other cells will update. Is there a way I can
make a formula identify just the value in this cell? If not, is there a way
I can hide the input value, in this case, 72, somewhere on the spreadsheet?
- Thank you! BWP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Give yourself a break. Keep it simple.
Use Data Text to Columns to split the text in col A by the delimiter: =
This splits the $ numbers into col B. Then point your calculations to col B.
Hide col B as desired thereafter.
--
Max
Singapore
"BWP" wrote:
I have a cell (A1) that has the following text:
2008 Tipping Fee = $72

I want to perform calculation that reference this 72, and then if I change
the tipping fee, all of the other cells will update. Is there a way I can
make a formula identify just the value in this cell? If not, is there a way
I can hide the input value, in this case, 72, somewhere on the spreadsheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BWP BWP is offline

Default Can you perform calculations w/ cells that have both numbers a

Thank you for all the replies. I used a Custom format in combination with
keeping the 72 value in a distinct cell, it seemed to be the easiest.

Brooks

"BWP" wrote:
I have a cell (A1) that has the following text:
2008 Tipping Fee = $72

I want to perform calculation that reference this 72, and then if I change
the tipping fee, all of the other cells will update. Is there a way I can
make a formula identify just the value in this cell? If not, is there a way
I can hide the input value, in this case, 72, somewhere on the spreadsheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

First, thanks for feeding back. Do take a moment to rate all responses which
help by pressing the Yes buttons (like the ones below) from where you're
reading/posting.

Btw, I'd like to clarify that my response implicitly presumes that the data
you mention was already there in col A. And that you were asking for a way to
handle it, all the embedded $$.