Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BWP BWP is offline

Default Can you perform calculations w/ cells that have both numbers a

Thank you for all the replies. I used a Custom format in combination with
keeping the 72 value in a distinct cell, it seemed to be the easiest.

Brooks

"Max" wrote:

Give yourself a break. Keep it simple.
Use Data Text to Columns to split the text in col A by the delimiter: =
This splits the $ numbers into col B. Then point your calculations to col B.
Hide col B as desired thereafter.
--
Max
Singapore
"BWP" wrote:
I have a cell (A1) that has the following text:
2008 Tipping Fee = $72

I want to perform calculation that reference this 72, and then if I change
the tipping fee, all of the other cells will update. Is there a way I can
make a formula identify just the value in this cell? If not, is there a way
I can hide the input value, in this case, 72, somewhere on the spreadsheet?