Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jo Jo is offline

Default Nested IF

Hi everyone, can someone help me with a nested IF function please?

I have created a worksheet for my finances where I have a column for the
date (column B), a column for transactions (column C), a column for credits
(column D), a column for debits (column E) and then a column for the balance
(column F). What I have been trying to do in the balance column is if say,
D4 (a credit) is blank, then leave it blank, otherwise add the amount to the
previous balance in F3, and if say, E4 (a debit) is blank, then leave it
blank, otherwise deduct the amount from the previous balance in F3. I have
tried the following but it returns a VALUE error.

=IF(ISBLANK(D4),"",(F3+D4),IF(ISBLANK(E4),"",(F3-E4))

Can anyone suggest a correction to this please? Many thanks.
--
Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(COUNT(D4:E4)=0,"",SUM(F3,D4,-E4))