Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default nested if based on nested if in seperate sheet. how?

I have created a nested if statement that works, it brings in a certain level
based on yes or no answers. In another sheet I have used and absolute cell
reference to the first sheets cell that contains the nested if statement.
But here is where I have a problem, when I tr to create a nested if
statement on the second sheet to bring up a comment based on what the
absolute reference is currently displaying. The statement does not work.
If I take away the absolute reference and just write any number in, then the
statement works fine and the appropriate comment is displayed.
Help please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry Dave,
I would attach the problem, but not sure how to

1st formula in sheet 1 - Yr 7 assessment, goes in cell S4
=IF(X411,"5",IF(X48,"4",IF(X43,"3",IF(X4=0,"",I F(X4<4,"2")))))

next formula in sheet 2 Yr 7 Report, goes in cell B5
='Yr 7 Assessment'!S4

final formula that won't work in sheet 2 yr 7 report goes in cell A8
=IF(B54,"5",IF(B53,"4", IF(B52,"3",IF(B51,"2","0"))))

hope this will do as not sure, what else I could do to show you.

Hope you can help

"scouserabbit" wrote:

I have created a nested if statement that works, it brings in a certain level
based on yes or no answers. In another sheet I have used and absolute cell
reference to the first sheets cell that contains the nested if statement.
But here is where I have a problem, when I tr to create a nested if
statement on the second sheet to bring up a comment based on what the
absolute reference is currently displaying. The statement does not work.
If I take away the absolute reference and just write any number in, then the
statement works fine and the appropriate comment is displayed.
Help please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This formula treats numbers as text values:
=IF(X411,"5",IF(X48,"4",IF(X43,"3",IF(X4=0,"",I F(X4<4,"2")))))

This formula tests for numbers, not text values:

=IF(B54,"5",IF(B53,"4", IF(B52,"3",IF(B51,"2","0"))))

If you want numbers, eliminate the double quotes in both formulas:

=IF(X411,5,IF(X48,4,IF(X43,3,IF(X4=0,"",IF(X4<4 ,2)))))

And

=IF(B54,5,IF(B53,4, IF(B52,3,IF(B51,2,0))))

Also, I think you have an extra parenthesis at the end of your first formula.

As for attaching the problem--no need. All I was asking you to do was copy
the formulas used into this discussion group, which you did. It's hard to
diagnose problems of this nature without seeing the formulas you're using.

Dave

"scouserabbit" wrote:

I have created a nested if statement that works, it brings in a certain level
based on yes or no answers. In another sheet I have used and absolute cell
reference to the first sheets cell that contains the nested if statement.
But here is where I have a problem, when I tr to create a nested if
statement on the second sheet to bring up a comment based on what the
absolute reference is currently displaying. The statement does not work.
If I take away the absolute reference and just write any number in, then the
statement works fine and the appropriate comment is displayed.
Help please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

spot on there dave, took quotes away and worked immediately.
Thanks a lot for your help.
If I wanted to add a cell reference from another sheet instead of numbers,
what would I add to the final formula.