Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I enter a formula that will update as more rows are added?

Lets say I'm going to add information every week to Column E and I don't want
to have to go to the SUM formula and edit it every time to include the new
columns I've added. Is there a way to put =sum(e6:ex) rather than =SUM
(E6:E20) so that the formula will continually expand with my new entries?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Convert the range to a list (Data List Create List), When you do so,
then the range will be surrounded by a blue border with auto filter drop
downs. Also, when you add more rows to the range, the rang will be modified
in the formula

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"ChuckT12624" wrote in message
Lets say I'm going to add information every week to Column E and I don't
want
to have to go to the SUM formula and edit it every time to include the new
columns I've added. Is there a way to put =sum(e6:ex) rather than =SUM
(E6:E20) so that the formula will continually expand with my new entries?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Assuming that there is no data below the range you want to sum, say E1:E20
you can modify the formula to read:

=SUM(E1:E10000)

The results will change as you add new data. Empty cells and text entries
are ignored by this function.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"ChuckT12624" wrote:

Lets say I'm going to add information every week to Column E and I don't want
to have to go to the SUM formula and edit it every time to include the new
columns I've added. Is there a way to put =sum(e6:ex) rather than =SUM
(E6:E20) so that the formula will continually expand with my new entries?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUM(E6:INDEX(E:E,ROW()-1))

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP