Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default sumproduct

Hi all,
I have a workbook that I use sumproduct in. But this only counts numeric's.
How can I count (L). If I try to use sumproduct obviously it reports 0.
I need to count from B2 TO B556 in a column. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can still use SUMPRODUCT
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B556="L"))
or you could use a COUNTIF function
=COUNTIF(B2:B556,"L")
If these don't work for you, post your formula, and I, or someone else, can
help :)
--
** John C **

"Bryan De-Lara" wrote:

Hi all,
I have a workbook that I use sumproduct in. But this only counts numeric's.
How can I count (L). If I try to use sumproduct obviously it reports 0.
I need to count from B2 TO B556 in a column. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="L"), --(B1:B100="cats))
this will count how may row have the letter L in A and word cats in B
For more details on SUMPRODUCT
Bob Phillips
J.E McGimpsey
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bryan De-Lara" wrote in message
Hi all,
I have a workbook that I use sumproduct in. But this only counts
numeric's. How can I count (L). If I try to use sumproduct obviously it
reports 0.
I need to count from B2 TO B556 in a column. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I feel so stupid now, I tried using it and I couldn't get it to work. I
pasted yours and it works a treat.
Thank you John for such a quick turnaround.
No doubt I will have another question later that has baffled me for the past
year.

Bryan.

"Bryan De-Lara" wrote:

Hi all,
I have a workbook that I use sumproduct in. But this only counts
numeric's.
How can I count (L). If I try to use sumproduct obviously it reports 0.
I need to count from B2 TO B556 in a column. Any help would be
appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It depends on how you access the help group. Some give stars, some give
little yes boxes below, and some????? who knows :)
Either way, glad to have helped.
--
** John C **