Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mm mm is offline

Default Arrrghhh! Help a newbie please with highlighting!!!

I've never taken a course, pretty much self taught, trial and error. Please
be patient!

Here's my question....

A B C D E ........
1 date last name first attendant ......
2 " " " "
3
column A is left blank. Let's say, person in row 2 phones to cancel, I
want to type in A2 "cxx" and have it automatically highlight the entire row 2
in red. Likewise, I'd like to insert a line for a new client....type in A#,
ADDED, and have that row turn green with yellow font. Etc....
Is this possible? I've looked through many other threads and come close but
not close enough. I'm on Excel 2007 and need "click by click" instructions.
Thanks, MM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
~L ~L is offline

It is possible.

Highlight the range you want to apply this to
then On the 'home' tab, choose 'Conditional formatting from the styles
section right around the middle'
then 'New Rule'
then from the list on the window that comes up 'Use a formula to determine
which cells to format'

The goal of a conditional formatting formula is to produce a 'true/false'
statement.

The formula in this case is =$A2="cxx" but before you click OK, set the
format you want to use.

The other formula is basically the same. Try it.

"MM" wrote:

I've never taken a course, pretty much self taught, trial and error. Please
be patient!

Here's my question....

A B C D E ........
1 date last name first attendant ......
2 " " " "
3
column A is left blank. Let's say, person in row 2 phones to cancel, I
want to type in A2 "cxx" and have it automatically highlight the entire row 2
in red. Likewise, I'd like to insert a line for a new client....type in A#,
ADDED, and have that row turn green with yellow font. Etc....
Is this possible? I've looked through many other threads and come close but
not close enough. I'm on Excel 2007 and need "click by click" instructions.
Thanks, MM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mm mm is offline

That was too easy!
I understand the "2" in the formula because it's row 2 but if I type cxx in
any other row under the A column, will that work?
MM

"MM" wrote:

I've never taken a course, pretty much self taught, trial and error. Please
be patient!

Here's my question....

A B C D E ........
1 date last name first attendant ......
2 " " " "
3
column A is left blank. Let's say, person in row 2 phones to cancel, I
want to type in A2 "cxx" and have it automatically highlight the entire row 2
in red. Likewise, I'd like to insert a line for a new client....type in A#,
ADDED, and have that row turn green with yellow font. Etc....
Is this possible? I've looked through many other threads and come close but
not close enough. I'm on Excel 2007 and need "click by click" instructions.
Thanks, MM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
~L ~L is offline

Test it to make sure.

It did in my data and I would expect it to do so in yours with the exception
of, if you add a new row at the bottom of your data the formatting won't be
applied to that row.

To resolve this, you can either go to conditional formatting, manage rules,
and adjust the range of the rule to include the new row; or you could insert
rows in the middle of your data rather than at the end or you could convert
your data to a table (in the insert tab, select all of your data and on the
left, the second button will convert your data to a table) which will add the
table's formatting when new rows are added below the table.

"MM" wrote:

I've never taken a course, pretty much self taught, trial and error. Please
be patient!

Here's my question....

A B C D E ........
1 date last name first attendant ......
2 " " " "
3
column A is left blank. Let's say, person in row 2 phones to cancel, I
want to type in A2 "cxx" and have it automatically highlight the entire row 2
in red. Likewise, I'd like to insert a line for a new client....type in A#,
ADDED, and have that row turn green with yellow font. Etc....
Is this possible? I've looked through many other threads and come close but
not close enough. I'm on Excel 2007 and need "click by click" instructions.
Thanks, MM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
~L ~L is offline

Glad I could help!