Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Vlookup in reverse order

I just upgraded to Excel 2007 and I was wondering if MS had added the
functionality to allow a lookup from right to left?

Looking through the help I did not see anything, but I thought it would be
work the question.

Thanks!
PJ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

VLOOKUP works the same way. You can just MATCH & OFFSET (just like in
previous versions of Excel)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200809

"PJFry" wrote:

I just upgraded to Excel 2007 and I was wondering if MS had added the
functionality to allow a lookup from right to left?

Looking through the help I did not see anything, but I thought it would be
work the question.

Thanks!
PJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I was wondering if MS had added the functionality to
allow a lookup from right to left?

Not using the VLOOKUP function but there are already methods that will do
this.

INDEX/MATCH

OFFSET/MATCH

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"PJFry" wrote in message
I just upgraded to Excel 2007 and I was wondering if MS had added the
functionality to allow a lookup from right to left?

Looking through the help I did not see anything, but I thought it would be
work the question.

Thanks!
PJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

The answer is No.

But you can always use Index and Match to achieve that functionality.
With data in A1:G10
Value to Lookup in column G held in cell J1
Column to Match with held in K1

=INDEX($A$1:$G$10,MATCH(J1,$G$1:$G$10,0),MATCH(K1, $A$1:$G$1,0))

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"PJFry" wrote in message
I just upgraded to Excel 2007 and I was wondering if MS had added the
functionality to allow a lookup from right to left?

Looking through the help I did not see anything, but I thought it would be
work the question.

Thanks!
PJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What do you mean in reverse order?

If you mean that you lookup in for instance column 3 and returns the value
from column2 then Excel
has had that functionality ever since INDEX was introduced

=INDEX(B2:B100,MATCH("x",C2:C100,0))

will lookup x in C2:C100 and return the value from B2:B100

Peo Sjoblom

"PJFry" wrote in message
I just upgraded to Excel 2007 and I was wondering if MS had added the
functionality to allow a lookup from right to left?

Looking through the help I did not see anything, but I thought it would be
work the question.

Thanks!
PJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nothing new in XL2007 but it can be done in all versions with MATCH and
In A1:A5 enters numbers 20, 30, .. 60
In B1:B5 enter letters a, b, c, d e

In D1 enter the letter whose number is to be found 'backwards': I entered c
In E1 I used =MATCH(D1,B1:B5,0) to get the result 3 telling me that 'c' was
the third letter in the B column
In F1 I used =INDEX(A1:A5,E1) to get the value from the third cell in column
I can combine them as: =INDEX(A1:A5,MATCH(D1,B1:B5,0))

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"PJFry" wrote in message
I just upgraded to Excel 2007 and I was wondering if MS had added the
functionality to allow a lookup from right to left?

Looking through the help I did not see anything, but I thought it would be
work the question.

Thanks!
PJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No, you can still look only to the right in a VLOOKUP. See the "Left
Lookups" section at
http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/TablesAndLookups.aspx for formulas that
work like a VLOOKUP but allow you to look to the left.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Excel Product Group