Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Return Function

I believe I need to use VLOOKUP...but I am not sure, and I have no clue how
that function works.

In one column I have years 2008 - 2060. In the next column I have %. I want
Excel to return the year where either 75 % or 90 % is identified. How does
VLOOKUP work for this problem? or is there a different way OTHER THAN looking
at my data and seeing which year is related to the 75/90 %. I am creating
tables in two differnet spreadsheets and I want the cells linked. I believe
it will be easier to use a function rather than looking up the data myself,
should information change in the future, causing different years to become
associated with either 75/90 %

Thanks for the help in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Oct 21, 3:49*pm, scott wrote:
I believe I need to use VLOOKUP...but I am not sure, and I have no clue how
that function works.

In one column I have years 2008 - 2060. In the next column I have %. I want
Excel to return the year where either 75 % or 90 % is identified. How does
VLOOKUP work for this problem? or is there a different way OTHER THAN looking
at my data and seeing which year is related to the 75/90 %. I am creating
tables in two differnet spreadsheets and I want the cells linked. I believe
it will be easier to use a function rather than looking up the data myself,
should information change in the future, causing different years to become
associated with either 75/90 %

Thanks for the help in advance.

Vlookup can only search on the leftmost column of an area, so it won't
work for you.

What happens if both percents exist? I'd probably use 2 cells just in
case. Like so:

=INDEX(A1:B100,MATCH(.75,B1:B100,0),1)
=INDEX(A1:B100,MATCH(.9,B1:B100,0),1)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

VLOOKUP is used to find value in one column and return a value from a column
to the right - you want a column to the left

If there is a value of 75% in B1:B15, then this formula
=INDEX(A1:A15,MATCH(75%,B1:B15,FALSE))
will return the year from the cell in column A, if there is no 75% you get
an error result of #N/A

Come back with more details if you wish
best wishes
--