Krista F

Default Matrix Query Part II - lookup value

Another question on the lookup function! I'm using:

=INDEX($B$2:$D$4,MATCH("WW04",$A$2:$A$4,0),MATCH(" WW03",$B$1:$D$1,0))

I would like to 'autofill' my 2nd lookup_value ("WW03" here) by saying look
at the cell above this one I have just pasted you into. Can you nest
commands like that??

As it stands I am copying this formula into long strings and changing the
two lookup values by hand... It's not awful but if I can take another
shortcut... Well you know..

Thanks!!

Krista

Ah yes, I had just tried that and it finally worked... Thanks so much!

I just saved myself literally weeks on this analysis. Wish I had tried this
days ago....

"Jason Morin" wrote:

You almost have it:

=INDEX($B$2:$D$4,MATCH("WW04",$A$2:$A$4,0),MATCH
("WW03",$B$1:$D$1,0))

To understand the double unary (--)and it's usage, take a
look at:

http://tinyurl.com/5o7lm

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

Tushar Mehta

Use a relative address. For example, if you first enter this formula
in G2, instead of "WW03" use G1 (no quotes). Now, if G2 is copied into
H2, the reference to G1 will become H1. If you copy G2 to G3, the
reference to G1 will become G2.

You can also use partial-absolute-relative references. For example, if
you want to always refer to row 1 but want the column to change, when
entering the formula in G2 use G$1.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
Another question on the lookup function! I'm using:

=INDEX($B$2:$D$4,MATCH("WW04",$A$2:$A$4,0),MATCH(" WW03",$B$1:$D$1,0))

I would like to 'autofill' my 2nd lookup_value ("WW03" here) by saying look
at the cell above this one I have just pasted you into. Can you nest
commands like that??

As it stands I am copying this formula into long strings and changing the
two lookup values by hand... It's not awful but if I can take another
shortcut... Well you know..

Thanks!!

Krista

Ah yes, I had just tried that and it finally worked... Thanks so much!

I just saved myself literally weeks on this analysis. Wish I had tried this
days ago....

You almost have it:

.