Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I select specific cells to be my tab stops?

I am a new user and I created an Excel document that I want to use as a form.
Some of the cells have a default text that I do not want to change (for
example: "ADDRESS"). Other cells are empty where I would like to type in
info. Is there a way to select the cells in a specific order so that when I
press the TAB or ENTER key(s) the cursor will move to a cell where I would
like to type rather than simply to the next cell?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tab Stops In Excel (JTurke) wrote:
I am a new user and I created an Excel document that I want to use as a form.
Some of the cells have a default text that I do not want to change (for
example: "ADDRESS"). Other cells are empty where I would like to type in
info. Is there a way to select the cells in a specific order so that when I
press the TAB or ENTER key(s) the cursor will move to a cell where I would
like to type rather than simply to the next cell?

Select the entire sheet and then Format / Cells / Protection. Make sure
"Locked" is checked and then click OK.

Now select all of the cells into which you would like to be able to enter
information. If they are not all connected to each other, select the first
range, then hold down the "Ctrl" key and continue to select additional ranges.

Next, Format / Cells / Protection and un-check "Locked".

Finally, Tools / Protection / Protect Sheet and check all the things you want to
do, making sure that "Select locked cells" is un-checked.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

The only way to do what you requested is to use VBA. Why? Because the other
answer you were given does not move the cursor in "a specific order" it moves
them in to order Excel is pre-designed to. In other words if you have the
range A1:A5 unlocked in a protected spreadsheet .
If you want the cursor to move in this order, it won't
A3--A1--A5--A2--A4
If you start in A1 and press Tab the cursor will always move to A2. If you
press Enter in A1, of this example, the cursor will move to A2. To go in any
non-standard order you must program Excel. To do that we would need the
"specific order" you want to move through the range.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire