Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Special Paste confusion

I have been told to use Special Paste, here is what I have been told

The paste special command is a very
useful command which you should add to your collection of basic Excel
techniques. As you might have noticed you can Add, Subtract, Multiply or
Divide as well as many other options.

The problem is when I select special paste I only get

http://www.eaglepi.com/images/special.jpg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Paste Special provide different options if you are copying from within an
Excel file that is part of your current application vs. what you can select
when copying from an outside file.

I am currently unable to view outside web pages, but assume you can only
select from Text, HTML, etc.

If you copy a cell within your current ecel sheet and choose paste special,
you will see the options mentioned below.

You can always paste from your outside source to a balnk excel workbook,
then so your paste special from there if desired.

Important note, if you open two instances of Excel (From your Start menu),
you will not be able to use the paste special you are looking for. You must
open your new file from within your current escel workbook.

Hope that all made sense!

"Nobody" wrote:

I have been told to use Special Paste, here is what I have been told

The paste special command is a very
useful command which you should add to your collection of basic Excel
techniques. As you might have noticed you can Add, Subtract, Multiply or
Divide as well as many other options.

The problem is when I select special paste I only get

http://www.eaglepi.com/images/special.jpg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have two instances of excel open.

Close one instance.
Then in the other, use File|Open (or ctrl-o) to open the second workbook.

Then do the copy|paste special.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is what I was trying to do

I have a worksheet that has a column for quantities, I have to subtract 1
from the quantity of 120 rows. Other than doing it manually can I select
those rows and do something that will subtract 1 from each of the cells I
select.

In other words if a cell currently has 9 and need it to be changed to 8

This is what I was told

"Assuming all cells in your range are numbers, and all numbers need to be
decreased by 1.
Type -1 in a cell, copy that cell
Select your range, Paste Special -- Add

Voila!
--
John C"

But all I ever get is the what I showed in mt original post in this thread

"Nobody" wrote:

I have been told to use Special Paste, here is what I have been told

The paste special command is a very
useful command which you should add to your collection of basic Excel
techniques. As you might have noticed you can Add, Subtract, Multiply or
Divide as well as many other options.

The problem is when I select special paste I only get

http://www.eaglepi.com/images/special.jpg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Figured out my problem, my worksheet was a csv not xls, can you convert a
csv to xls and then make the changes using paste special then convert it
back to csv ?

My import for the program I use only accepts csv format

Nobody wrote:

I have been told to use Special Paste, here is what I have been told

The paste special command is a very
useful command which you should add to your collection of basic Excel
techniques. As you might have noticed you can Add, Subtract, Multiply or
Divide as well as many other options.

The problem is when I select special paste I only get

http://www.eaglepi.com/images/special.jpg

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes. Use Save As...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

All I know is that when I try to paste special in my worksheet that is a csv
I do not get the paste special dialog that gives me all the choices I only
get the choices of "text or unitext"

When I "save as" to a xsl I still don't get the choices other than text or
unitext"

when I open a worksheet created as a xsl and try to paste special I DO get
the options to subtract add etc..

Nobody wrote:

I have been told to use Special Paste, here is what I have been told

The paste special command is a very
useful command which you should add to your collection of basic Excel
techniques. As you might have noticed you can Add, Subtract, Multiply
or
Divide as well as many other options.

The problem is when I select special paste I only get

http://www.eaglepi.com/images/special.jpg

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The problem is when I select special paste I only get

http://www.eaglepi.com/images/special.jpg

What did you copy from right before trying "Paste Special?"

Could it be from a window that's not an Excel window? For example, I get a
result like yours when I try using "Paste Special" after copying from a
Word document or from a web page.

If that's your situation, try just pasting into Excel first, then
immediately copy from Excel and "Paste Special" right over the same cell
(or cells).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You do the copying the wrong way, you shouldn't be in edit mode when you
copy
if you want to paste special etc. Finish the formatting of the cell, then
press enter, then select the cell again and right click and select copy or
press ctrl + c and then do the paste. This is exactly as if you were copying
from notepad or something.

Peo Sjoblom

"Nobody" wrote in message
I made a movie of the screen so you can see exactly what I am doing.

http://www.eaglepi.com/office2007.html

"pomegranate-man" wrote in message
05.209...
The problem is when I select special paste I only get

http://www.eaglepi.com/images/special.jpg

What did you copy from right before trying "Paste Special?"

Could it be from a window that's not an Excel window? For example, I get
result like yours when I try using "Paste Special" after copying from a
Word document or from a web page.

If that's your situation, try just pasting into Excel first, then
immediately copy from Excel and "Paste Special" right over the same cell
(or cells).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have no idea why you have to hit enter after formatting and then after
entering the #1 in another cell but it works now as it is suppose to....
I'm removing the movie from my server so it won't be available any longer...

Thanks
Peo