Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default 'text

in each cell a ' precedes the contents ie. '01/01/1999 or 'Tuesday.

I can't find and replace the item (') as excel can not see it at the start
of the cell

I don't really want to multiply everything by 1

can you help me get rid of all the ' out of every cell

many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select all the cells you want to remove the asterisks from, then right click
the worksheet's tab and select View Code from the popup menu that appears.
The will take you into the Visual Basic editor where you should see a window
labeled Immediate (if you do not see it, press Ctrl+G)... copy/paste this
line of code into the Immediate window...

Selection.Value = Selection.Value

and, with the caret (text cursor) on that line, hit the Enter key. When you
be gone.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Ward" wrote in message
in each cell a ' precedes the contents ie. '01/01/1999 or 'Tuesday.

I can't find and replace the item (') as excel can not see it at the start
of the cell

I don't really want to multiply everything by 1

can you help me get rid of all the ' out of every cell

many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is from a reply by Gary''s Student to a similar question:

Select the cells in question and run:

Sub quote_killer()
For Each r In Selection
If r.PrefixCharacter = "'" Then
r.Value = r.Value
End If
Next
End Sub

If you are new to macros, this link to Jon Peltier's site may be helpful:
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...e-elses-macro/

Hope this helps,

Hutch