Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default conditional formatting text warning and color change

i would like to have a merged cell display message "X" when the different
cell value is exceeded. I have tried conditional formatting and still the
merged cell displays nothing.
Formula
if(a15<0.02,"Enter new text",""). Pattern of yellow and font of red chosen.

No results when entered. please advise if above forumula is correct.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Let's see if we have this straight.

Some cell (merged cells) contains this formula:

if(a15<0.02,"Enter new text","")

When the formula returns "Enter new text" you want the conditional
formatting to be applied.

If that's what you want try this:

Select the cell (merged cells)
Goto the menu FormatConditional Formatting
Select the Formula Is option
Enter this formula in the box on the right:

=cell_ref="Enter new text"

If you're using merged cells then cell_ref is the top left cell of the
merged cells. For example, suppose the merged cells are C10:D12. Then
cell_ref is C10:

=C10="Enter new text"

Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tcek" wrote in message
i would like to have a merged cell display message "X" when the different
cell value is exceeded. I have tried conditional formatting and still the
merged cell displays nothing.
Formula
if(a15<0.02,"Enter new text",""). Pattern of yellow and font of red
chosen.

No results when entered. please advise if above forumula is correct.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The reference cell is not in the merged cell range. I am having difficulty
with the formula triggering any type of response in the merged cells. The
conditional formatting is programmed in the merge cells. I was wondering if
my formula was incorrect since i was getting no conditional formatting at all.

As of now the formula does not return any text when the condition is met. I
the example formula, a15 is not in the merged cell.

"tcek" wrote in message
i would like to have a merged cell display message "X" when the different
cell value is exceeded. I have tried conditional formatting and still the
merged cell displays nothing.
Formula
if(a15<0.02,"Enter new text",""). Pattern of yellow and font of red
chosen.

No results when entered. please advise if above forumula is correct.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK, I'm not following you on this.

What cells do you want to apply the conditional formatting to? What
condition is to be used to apply the formatting?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tcek" wrote in message
i would like to have a merged cell display message "X" when the
different
cell value is exceeded. I have tried conditional formatting and still
the
merged cell displays nothing.
Formula
if(a15<0.02,"Enter new text",""). Pattern of yellow and font of red
chosen.

No results when entered. please advise if above forumula is correct.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Specifically...rows a1 through a6 are merged. a15 has a value in it. if a15
has a value of <-0.02 OR 0.02, the merged rows of a1 through a6 should show
a red texted message with a yellow background stating "Warning Text"

"tcek" wrote in message
i would like to have a merged cell display message "X" when the
different
cell value is exceeded. I have tried conditional formatting and still
the
merged cell displays nothing.
Formula
if(a15<0.02,"Enter new text",""). Pattern of yellow and font of red
chosen.

No results when entered. please advise if above forumula is correct.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK, got it...

Select cell A1 (merged cells)
Type in your warning message
Got the menu FormatCellsFont tab
Set the default font color to be the same as the default background color.
If your default background color is white then set the font color to also be
white.

OK out

With A1 (merged cells) still selected
Goto the menu FormatConditional Formatting
Select the Formula Is option
Enter this formula in the box on the right:

=OR(ISTEXT(A$15),A$15<-0.02,A$150.02)

Click the format button
Select the Font tab
Select a nice shade of RED and maybe even BOLD
Select the Patterns tab
Select a nice shade of YELLOW
OK out

--