Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Merge and Sort 2 worksheets into 3rd

There are many threads on this Forum dealing with merging tables, worksheets,
and workbooks, but I cannot locate one that suits the problem I am trying to
resolve.

Problem:
I have two worksheets of data.
The 1st (WS1) contains the following 5 headings (columns):
Date | Econ | Dist | Cost per | Total $

The 2nd (WS2) contains 3 columns:
Date | Total $ | Service Type

Both worksheets contain many rows of data that are constantly being added to
- via a data connection to 2 CSV text files. Both text files are sorted in
Date order (newest to oldest). Many of the Dates contain data in both text
files.

Result Desired:
I want to dynamically merge the two sets of data into a 3rd worksheet (WS3),
with the following 6 headings (columns):
Date | Econ | Dist | Cost per | Total $ | Service Type
and sorted into oldest to newest Date order.
Multiple entries for each Date are allowed.

BTW I am using Excel 2007.

The data constantly added to so I am looking for a method that will update
the merged table instantly and dynamically. Can anyone help me code a
formula (or series of formulas) to do this, please? By reading other similar
threads in this Forum, I am guessing there will need to be a combination if
IF, INDEX, ROW / COLUMN, INDEX, MATCH, OFFSET etc formula to make this work.
Whilst I consider myself resonably proficient with Excel, most of those
formula leave me cold.

Any help will be certainly appreciated.

Dave C.

Brisbane, Australia
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel 2007
Maybe something like this?
No hot formulas, but some code:
http://www.savefile.com/files/1837834
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Herbert,

Many thanks - it looks very promising. I say promising, as I was able to
follow your instructions, but unable to get the "Update" buttons to operate.
I suspect my "Trust Center" is disabling the macros. I note the file I
downloaded was 0.5Mb, when I saved it and starting work on it the size had
reduced to 0.05MB.

Anyway, if you have the inclination to continue with this problem I have
uploaded my version of your example:
http://www.savefile.com/files/1837989

I certainly appreciate your assistance. It will save me enormous manual
input / manipulation in the future.
Dave C.

Brisbane, Australia

"Herbert Seidenberg" wrote:

Excel 2007
Maybe something like this?
No hot formulas, but some code:
http://www.savefile.com/files/1837834

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Customized to your data.
Added macro enable instructions.
http://www.savefile.com/files/1838719

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Herbert,

Brilliant - works like a charm. Many many thanks.

--
Kind Regards,
Dave C.

Brisbane, Australia