Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting repeating cell values

I have a spreadsheet with addresses on it. I'd like a formula that can see
instances of the same address appearing more than once in the table, count
those instances and place the count in cell on another sheet in the workbook.
There is a "Client Number" field in the table in column "E" whose value is
unique to each address. The number of records in the source table will
change daily, the fields will be constant. The destination cell would remain
the same.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I would use a Pivot Table

Data - Pivot Table

Place the address in the row fields AND the data fields.

click in one of the numbers, Data - Sort - Descending

Will show a count of each address in descending order...

"Matt G" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with addresses on it. I'd like a formula that can see
instances of the same address appearing more than once in the table, count
those instances and place the count in cell on another sheet in the workbook.
There is a "Client Number" field in the table in column "E" whose value is
unique to each address. The number of records in the source table will
change daily, the fields will be constant. The destination cell would remain
the same.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming you have addresses in Sheet 1

In Sheet2 Col A
Enter or paste the unique Client Numbers by filtering from Sheet A starting
from A2
Then in B2 enter
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$E$2:$E$1000=A2),(--(Sheet1!$E$2:$E$1000<"")))
and copy down...
Replace 1000 by a number more than your last cell. You may leave room for
expansion