Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using a template with an automatic Number Systen

I want to set up a template that when opened in one cell will give me #1 the
first time it was used, then #2 the second time. I want the numbers to be
incremental in 1's,

Any suggestions please
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Several techniques here

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html

Mike

"gigglygover" wrote:

I want to set up a template that when opened in one cell will give me #1 the
first time it was used, then #2 the second time. I want the numbers to be
incremental in 1's,

Any suggestions please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is your template a true Template(*.XLT)

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
if thisworkbook.path = "" then
'it's never been saved, so increment
Sheet1.Range("H16").Value = Sheet1.Range("H16").Value + 1
end if
End Sub

Placed in Thisworkbook module of the Template from which your workbooks are
created.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:24:00 -0700, gigglygover
wrote:

I want to set up a template that when opened in one cell will give me #1 the
first time it was used, then #2 the second time. I want the numbers to be
incremental in 1's,

Any suggestions please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Getting too old for this<g

Forgot to mention...........in the *.xlt you must enter a 1 in H16 then
save.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:

I want to set up a template that when opened in one cell will give me #1 the
first time it was used, then #2 the second time. I want the numbers to be
incremental in 1's,

Any suggestions please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't know if "gigglygover" understands programmers language, I surely
don't, as with the link to McGimpsey, to to able to get it right one needs
to have the programmers software and knowledge to understand all this. I have
a simular problem, and all we ask is that someone explain it to us in good
old english.