Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula Help with Lookups?

I am trying to find a formula/Function that will help me do the following.

Table.
Column A: List of Names
Column B: Numerical Values

Column C: List of Names
Column D: Empty

A function that will fill in Column D with a Numerical Value found in Column
B where Column A = Column B.

Example Data.
Column A
Row 1 Jimmy
Row 2 Steve

Column B
Row 1 '4'
Row 2 '8'

Column C
Row 1 Steve
Row 2 Jimmy

Column D
Row 1 Empty
Row 2 Empty

After putting in this formula Column D should look like
Row 1 '8'
Row 2 '4'

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello Bombay (or should I say Mumbai? :-)
Enter this in D1 and copy down
=VLOOKUP(C1,A:B,2,False)

"Bombay" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think I almost have it.

Though my Data is a little different than my example.

Sheet 1
Column A = Names
Column F = Numerical Values

Sheet 2
Column C = Names
Column D = Empty Value(Where I want values entered from Column F to be
populated)

There are a total of 32 names and values.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The answer is, the 2 indicates you want to return the value from the 2nd
column of the table you're looking at.

If your table was, say, F:I and you wanted the value in column H, you'd have
,3, instead.

"Bombay" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Did you get it? If not the copy this in D1 of Sheet 2
=VLOOKUP(C1,Sheet1!A:F,6,FALSE)
and copy down till the cell you want the values in