Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sorting Options are not available in Excel...

Weird. I received a spreadsheet from someone and I need to sort it. It
looks like they have done something with filtering though that is blocking me
from doing any sorts on the data. The filter button was highlighted and I
turned it off, but I still have the same problem. I know it is something
dumb, but I am stumped.

Thanks,
Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel version?

Did you try Data-Filter-Show All?

Are you able to change cell values? If not then workbook/sheet may be
protected...

"codwilco" wrote:

Weird. I received a spreadsheet from someone and I need to sort it. It
looks like they have done something with filtering though that is blocking me
from doing any sorts on the data. The filter button was highlighted and I
turned it off, but I still have the same problem. I know it is something
dumb, but I am stumped.

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Although this did not fix the problem, your message triggered more thoughts.
The data is in a table (.xlsx file in 2007). When I went to the design tab,
I changed the dimension of the table to include some additional columns.
Now, I can turn filter back on and sort by those columns. This answers the
problem for the short term.

I guess I need to just figure out how to turn the table OFF though and my
default stuff will start working again.