Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default what's the function to return a sheetname in a cell in Excel?

I was hoping it was this, and it ain't.

=sheetname()

or

=sheet()

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The workbook has to be saved first.

=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,32)

you can put that anywhere, even in A1

Peo Sjoblom

"judi" wrote in message
I was hoping it was this, and it ain't.

=sheetname()

or

=sheet()

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It could be if you had a UDF

Function SheetName(Optional ByVal rng As Range) As String
Application.Volatile
If rng Is Nothing Then Set rng = Application.Caller
SheetName = rng.Parent.Name
End Function

=SheetName()

The workbook does not have be saved first.

But the native function Peo posted works a little faster and who would want
to know the sheetname in an unsaved file?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP