Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I use the value in a text box to change a cell value?

Is there a way to have cells reference a text box so that values typed into
the text box automatically update values in the cells?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use the textbox from the control toolbox toolbar.

Rightclick on it and choose properties (while in design mode--another icon on
that toolbar).

Type in the address of the linked cell in the .linkedcell property.

You may want to play with these properties, too:

.enterkeybehavior to true (hitting enter creates a new line)
.multiline to true
.wordwrap to true
.scrollbars to what you want.

Exit design mode and test it out.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dave,

Thanks for the response, it's very neat and I did learn something that will
be useful in the future. Unfortunately if I'm following your instructions, I
think this answer goes in the opposite direction that I'm trying to go. My
boss would like to be able to enter a value in a text box and have that new
value in the text box be used to automatically update the values in some
cells. If I'm reading your suggestion correctly, I think that it updates the
value in a text box based on changes in a cell.

There may be another way to do this, but I was trying to approach it through
a text box. My boss would like to have a chart sheet, not a worksheet, and
to be able to have a way in presentations to change a displayed value on the
chart sheet, not a value within the chart, that would then change formulas on
background worksheets that would in turn update the values in the chart.
Make sense?