Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default How do I use the value in a text box to change a cell value?

Give it a try to see if it works.

It may even be bidirectional.

McGuff wrote:

Dave,

Thanks for the response, it's very neat and I did learn something that will
be useful in the future. Unfortunately if I'm following your instructions, I
think this answer goes in the opposite direction that I'm trying to go. My
boss would like to be able to enter a value in a text box and have that new
value in the text box be used to automatically update the values in some
cells. If I'm reading your suggestion correctly, I think that it updates the
value in a text box based on changes in a cell.

There may be another way to do this, but I was trying to approach it through
a text box. My boss would like to have a chart sheet, not a worksheet, and
to be able to have a way in presentations to change a displayed value on the
chart sheet, not a value within the chart, that would then change formulas on
background worksheets that would in turn update the values in the chart.
Make sense?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Use the textbox from the control toolbox toolbar.

Rightclick on it and choose properties (while in design mode--another icon on
that toolbar).

Type in the address of the linked cell in the .linkedcell property.

You may want to play with these properties, too:

.enterkeybehavior to true (hitting enter creates a new line)
.multiline to true
.wordwrap to true
.scrollbars to what you want.

Exit design mode and test it out.

McGuff wrote:

Is there a way to have cells reference a text box so that values typed into
the text box automatically update values in the cells?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson