Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Drop Down lists

Is there a way to count different values in a column with drop down boxes.
For example, if I have a column with drop down lists, 2009 Q1, 2009 Q2, 2009
Q3, 2009 Q4 how do I count each time one of these is selected to get totals
for 2009 Q1, 2009 Q2, 2009 Q3, 2009 Q4?

Thanks.
--
Debbie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

2 quick options...

1) Highlight the table and go to:

Data - Pivot Table.

Drop the column name into Row and into Data. Right-click within one of the
data fields and ensure it is set to Count.

2) Create a second table with the values from below. In column B, type
=countif(Sheet1!A:A,A2) to count the number of times the values in column A
of sheet 1 match cell A2 of your current table.

"Debbie" wrote:

Is there a way to count different values in a column with drop down boxes.
For example, if I have a column with drop down lists, 2009 Q1, 2009 Q2, 2009
Q3, 2009 Q4 how do I count each time one of these is selected to get totals
for 2009 Q1, 2009 Q2, 2009 Q3, 2009 Q4?

Thanks.
--
Debbie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You may want to read up on the SUBTOTAL() function. The SUBTOAL(9,range)
function will sum up only the visible cells (after filtering out data)

Ashsih Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com