neil57

Default Merged Cell will initally show text from 1st worksheet but then wo

I have setting up documents with multiple worksheets. When I initially set
the file up I can type info in worksheet one and have the text display on a
2nd,3rd (etc.) with no problems. However, sometimes this stops working and
the 2nd,3rd worksheets will only display the formula for example =Sheet1!A1
instead of the text written. WHY?
Dave Peterson

Excel likes to help you.

If you put a date into A1 (ctrl-semicolon is good enough), then put =a1 in an
empty cell (say B1).

You'll see that excel helped by formatting B1 as a date.

Excel works the same way with text cells.
format A1 as text (and put something into that cell)
put =A1 in cell B1
Now hit F2 (to edit B1) and just hit enter.

B1 now is text and the formula shows.

I don't think you can stop this "helpful" behavior. Just change the format to
what you want (General?) and hit F2|Enter to reenter the formula.

===
If that's not it, any chance you're showing formulas?
tools|options|View tab
Is "formulas" checked?

--

Dave Peterson
neil57

I checked under tools options and "formulas" is not checked. If I use a "new"
worksheet I am able to use "=Sheet1! " with no problem. I am not finding the
pattern. I've tried matching cell formating ie. "text" to "text" or
"general" to "general" but that does'nt help. What I'm seeing is the formula
in the Enty box (at the top) =Sheet1!D6 for example and =Sheet1! in the
merged cell itself. I am unable to recreate the problem. It is happening
inconsistantly w Once it occurs I am no longer able to use fromulas to share
the text. Thank your for responding any other ideas?

neil57 wrote:

I have setting up documents with multiple worksheets. When I initially set
the file up I can type info in worksheet one and have the text display on a
2nd,3rd (etc.) with no problems. However, sometimes this stops working and
the 2nd,3rd worksheets will only display the formula for example =Sheet1!A1
instead of the text written. WHY?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I don't have another guess.

But if it happens again, take good notes and paste what happened into a new
message.

Maybe someone has seen the problem before.