Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Average price between dates

I would like to get the average number on a specific range.
I have B7:B172 with dates (from 01/01/08 to 25/08/08) sorted descending. I
have D7:D172 with cooper prices for these days.
I would like to get the average price per month.
Be aware that I use spanish dates so I use dd/mm/yyyy.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have at least a couple of choices.

One way is to make sure you have headers and then add another helper column:
=text(b7,"yyyymm")
(with my USA settings and my English function and yyyymm abbreviations!)

Then sort your data (all the columns!) by this helper column.

Then use Data|Subtotal (xl2003 menus). Be sure to use Average as the subtotal
function.

========
Another way is to use data|pivottable (also xl2003 menus).

Add those headers if you don't have them, but don't bother sorting the data
(it's not required).

Then select the range
Data|Pivottable
Follow the wizard until you get to a step with a Layout Button on it.
Click that layout button
Drag the header for the date to the row area
Drag the header for the price to the Data area
(rightclick on it and choose Average)
and finish up the wizard.

You now have a summary report for average per date. So you're not quite done.
Right click on the Date header in the pivottable.
Choose Group and show detail.
Then choose Group.
And group by months and years.

If you've never used pivottables, here are a few links:

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

--