Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
S S

Default average price

I have some prices in cells A1 to A20 I know how to get the average price if
all the cells have a price in it, but how do I get an average if say only
some of the cells have the information in them.
ie if 10 cells have a price and 10 cells dont I could divide by 10 to get an
average but this will obviously change as I add more prices in so looking
for a way to avoid me having to manually adjust the average figure each time
I add a new entry.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

=SUM(A1:A20)/COUNT(A1:A20)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"S S" wrote in message o.uk...
|I have some prices in cells A1 to A20 I know how to get the average price if
| all the cells have a price in it, but how do I get an average if say only
| some of the cells have the information in them.
| ie if 10 cells have a price and 10 cells dont I could divide by 10 to get an
| average but this will obviously change as I add more prices in so looking
| for a way to avoid me having to manually adjust the average figure each time
| I add a new entry.
|
| thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

One way:

=AVERAGE(A1:A20)

will ignore blanks.

In article ,
"S S" wrote:

I have some prices in cells A1 to A20 I know how to get the average price if
all the cells have a price in it, but how do I get an average if say only
some of the cells have the information in them.
ie if 10 cells have a price and 10 cells dont I could divide by 10 to get an
average but this will obviously change as I add more prices in so looking
for a way to avoid me having to manually adjust the average figure each time
I add a new entry.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
S S