Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional formating for data in 2 columns

I need a formula that will calculate the number of contacts that I make
within a particular ethinicity. I have two columns, with the household
ethnicity in one column and then the number of contacts in that household in
the second. What formula can I use count the total number of contacts within
an ethnicity? I first tried the CountIf function, but realized that I was
only receiving a count of the instances of a particular ethnicity and not the
actual number of contacts.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional formatting for data in 2 columns

Hi

Use Sumif instead
=SUMIF(Ethnicity_column,Ethnicity,Count_column)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"ldenning" wrote in message
I need a formula that will calculate the number of contacts that I make
within a particular ethinicity. I have two columns, with the household
ethnicity in one column and then the number of contacts in that household
in
the second. What formula can I use count the total number of contacts
within
an ethnicity? I first tried the CountIf function, but realized that I was
only receiving a count of the instances of a particular ethnicity and not
the
actual number of contacts.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

So, if my data looked like this:

Column G Column H
w 2
w 1
w 3
b 1
w 4
b 3
h 1
w 2

Then my formula would need to look like this:

=sumif(G1:G8, "w", count H1:H8)

Is that right?

"ldenning" wrote in message
I need a formula that will calculate the number of contacts that I make
within a particular ethinicity. I have two columns, with the household
ethnicity in one column and then the number of contacts in that household
in
the second. What formula can I use count the total number of contacts
within
an ethnicity? I first tried the CountIf function, but realized that I was
only receiving a count of the instances of a particular ethnicity and not
the
actual number of contacts.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is that right?