Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count Using Multiple Criteria

Hi, I'm trying to prepare a summary worksheet to count where
B2:B22 = "associate"
and
C2:C22 contains a date (or is not blank)

I'm sure it's doable but I'm stumped. Thanks.

Nicole
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B22="associate"),--(C2:C22<""))

Peo Sjoblom

"Nicole Bradshaw" <Nicole wrote in
message ...
Hi, I'm trying to prepare a summary worksheet to count where
B2:B22 = "associate"
and
C2:C22 contains a date (or is not blank)

I'm sure it's doable but I'm stumped. Thanks.

Nicole

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can use =sumproduct(--(b2:b22="associate"),--(c2:c22="your date
condition"),--(c2:c22<""))

Enter this with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER

I am not sure how to test a cell for a date...

"Nicole Bradshaw" wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to prepare a summary worksheet to count where
B2:B22 = "associate"
and
C2:C22 contains a date (or is not blank)

I'm sure it's doable but I'm stumped. Thanks.

Nicole

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT(--( B2:B22 = "associate"),--(C2:C22<""))

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Nicole Bradshaw" <Nicole
wrote in
message ...
Hi, I'm trying to prepare a summary worksheet to count where
B2:B22 = "associate"
and
C2:C22 contains a date (or is not blank)

I'm sure it's doable but I'm stumped. Thanks.

Nicole

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just turn Boolean values into 1 or 0 so one can use the built in format of
SUMPRODUCT

If it didn't work then you have data that is not what it looks like.

Are the blank cells empty or do you have a formula and if you do how does
one formula that returns a blank look like?

You might have leading or trailing spaces in B2:B22

Can C2:C22 only hold dates are blanks than you can use

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B22="associate"),--(ISNUMBER(C2:C22)))

there is nothing wrong with the formula, also be specific. What does not
work?

Peo Sjoblom

"Nicole Bradshaw" wrote in
message ...

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B22="associate"),--(C2:C22<""))

Peo Sjoblom

"Nicole Bradshaw" <Nicole wrote in
message ...
Hi, I'm trying to prepare a summary worksheet to count where
B2:B22 = "associate"
and
C2:C22 contains a date (or is not blank)

I'm sure it's doable but I'm stumped. Thanks.

Nicole

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks -- the formula was correct, I had the parens in wrong place. I've got
it now -- I need to take an advanced Excel course so I understand what I'm
doing. Thanks again for your quick help!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B22="associate"),--(C2:C22<""))

Peo Sjoblom

"Nicole Bradshaw" <Nicole wrote in
message ...
Hi, I'm trying to prepare a summary worksheet to count where
B2:B22 = "associate"
and
C2:C22 contains a date (or is not blank)

I'm sure it's doable but I'm stumped. Thanks.

Nicole

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

If you reread the responses its there.

The portions of the formula that read

B2:B22 = "associate"

return a series of TRUE's and FALSE's even if you don't see them.

when you add a minus sign in front of this:
-(B2:B22 = "associate")
Excel change the TRUE's to -1's and the FALSE's to 0's
But we don't want negative 1's so we convert the negatives back to positive
by
--(B2:B22 = "associate")
The SUMPRODUCT function multiplies all the 0's and 1's times each other, 0*0
= 0
1*1 = 1 . 1*0 = 0*1 = 0. So anytime all conditions are met we are
multiplying a series of 1's which is 1. Anytime any of the conditions are
not met we are multiplying something times 0 which is always 0. The
SUMPRODUCT sums the 0's and 1's to give us our count.

Hope this helps.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

=SUMPRODUCT(--( B2:B22 = "associate"),--(C2:C22<""))

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Nicole Bradshaw" <Nicole
wrote in
message ...
Hi, I'm trying to prepare a summary worksheet to count where
B2:B22 = "associate"
and
C2:C22 contains a date (or is not blank)

I'm sure it's doable but I'm stumped. Thanks.

Nicole

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You can also try the following array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

COUNT(IF((B1:B5="Associate")*(ISNUMBER(C1:C5)),C1: C5))

Ashsih Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com