Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using worksheet names as references

I am not sure I can do this or not or if there is any easier way to do
this... any help appreciated.

I have several worksheets in a workbook. To keep it simple, the worksheet
names are A, B, C, D, etc.

I am building a large summary table and I want to keep my formulas as simple
as possible. I have entered the names of theworksheets (A, B, C, etc.) into
cells A1, A2, A3, and A4, etc.

I'd like to have formulas that more or less say "go to the worksheet that is
referenced in cell A1, or A2, etc. Is that possible?

Thanks

bmac

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Is this what you mean

=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!D10")

A valid worksheet name in a1 would make this formula refer to d1 on that
worksheet.

Mike

"bmac" wrote:

I am not sure I can do this or not or if there is any easier way to do
this... any help appreciated.

I have several worksheets in a workbook. To keep it simple, the worksheet
names are A, B, C, D, etc.

I am building a large summary table and I want to keep my formulas as simple
as possible. I have entered the names of theworksheets (A, B, C, etc.) into
cells A1, A2, A3, and A4, etc.

I'd like to have formulas that more or less say "go to the worksheet that is
referenced in cell A1, or A2, etc. Is that possible?

Thanks

bmac

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

bmac wrote:
I am not sure I can do this or not or if there is any easier way to do
this... any help appreciated.

I have several worksheets in a workbook. To keep it simple, the worksheet
names are A, B, C, D, etc.

I am building a large summary table and I want to keep my formulas as simple
as possible. I have entered the names of theworksheets (A, B, C, etc.) into
cells A1, A2, A3, and A4, etc.

I'd like to have formulas that more or less say "go to the worksheet that is
referenced in cell A1, or A2, etc. Is that possible?

Thanks

bmac

If you want cell Z1 in the current worksheet to display the contents of cell G12
in the worksheet named C, this would be the formula:

='C'!G12

You can see this by placing an equal sign in Z1 and then clicking on cell G12 of
worksheet C.

If you want the contents of cell A3 on the current worksheet to determine which
worksheet to pull the value of cell G12 from, then you would use the INDIRECT
formula as follows:

=INDIRECT("'"&A3&"'!G12")