Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default need some columns to auto add decimal pt & others to not - How to.

I have a spreadsheet that in one column I enter a number that will not have
decimal places. The next column are number with 2 decimal places. The 3rd
column multiplies the 1st 2 and has 2 decimal places. Is there a way to
enter the figures in the 2nd column that the computer would add the 2 decimal
places without my having to input the decimal. There is alot of data and it
would be quicker if this was possible.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

so you want to enter the number as pire digits and have the decimal added...

Go to Tools - Options - Edit tab

Fixed Decimal placed, check it off and make sure it says 2.

"His child" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that in one column I enter a number that will not have
decimal places. The next column are number with 2 decimal places. The 3rd
column multiplies the 1st 2 and has 2 decimal places. Is there a way to
enter the figures in the 2nd column that the computer would add the 2 decimal
places without my having to input the decimal. There is alot of data and it
would be quicker if this was possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sean,

Fixed decimals will work if you are only entering one column at a time -
otherwise, you would need to keep toggling it back and forth.

If you are entering column 1 then column 2, you could make the formula in
the 3rd column

=column2/100

then use a fourth column to do the multiplication. Hide the second column
when you are done.

OR

You could use an event to change the values in the second column: I'm
assuming column B for the code he

If Target.Column < 2 Or Target.Cells.Count < 1 Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
Target.Value = Target.Value / 100
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Copy the code above, right-click the sheet tab, select "View Code" and paste
the code into the window that appears.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP