Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default lastname, first name

I have a spreadsheet with 400 names listed lastname, firstname in once cell.
Is there a function in Excel that would create two cells, one cell for
lastname, and another cell for firstname? I'm not looking for the individual
cell cut and paste option.

Thanks,

Pete
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Menu DataText To Columns with a delimiter of comma.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"plubeski" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with 400 names listed lastname, firstname in once
cell.
Is there a function in Excel that would create two cells, one cell for
lastname, and another cell for firstname? I'm not looking for the
individual
cell cut and paste option.

Thanks,

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

It depends on how the names are seperated. this assumes with a space

First name
=TRIM(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)))

Last name
=TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1),LEN(A1)))

Another way would be to select the column then
data|Text to columns and follow the wizard.

Mike

"plubeski" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with 400 names listed lastname, firstname in once cell.
Is there a function in Excel that would create two cells, one cell for
lastname, and another cell for firstname? I'm not looking for the individual
cell cut and paste option.

Thanks,

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You can obtain the desired result by using Data Text to columns. The
steps should be self explanatory

Ashsih Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"plubeski" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with 400 names listed lastname, firstname in once
cell.
Is there a function in Excel that would create two cells, one cell for
lastname, and another cell for firstname? I'm not looking for the
individual
cell cut and paste option.

Thanks,

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I work a lot with names: We cannot assume the only space would be between
last name and first name because there are many first names with spaces
within them as well as last names with spaces in them.