Zack Barresse

Hello,

The answer to your quandry (assuming the name are in column A) ...

First Name:
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)

Last Name:
=LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)-1)

Although you could do this with one formula:

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("
"

HTH

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr

"JFALK" wrote in
message ...

I have a spreadsheet with a column that contains names. They are all in
this format:

-lastname-, -firstname-
example: WASHINGTON, GEORGE

All the individuals have e-mail addresses based on their names. They

It's not really " but I don't want to mention the company
name. How would I set this up in another column? Or, how would I break
apart the names so the first names are in one column and the last name
is in another? I would then be able to combine them with the @email.com
after them. Thanks!

--
JFALK
JFALK's Profile:

KL

Hi JFALK,

Try this formula:

=TRIM(LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1))&"."&TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)))&"@ema il.com"

Regards,
KL

"JFALK" wrote in
message ...

I have a spreadsheet with a column that contains names. They are all in
this format:

-lastname-, -firstname-
example: WASHINGTON, GEORGE

All the individuals have e-mail addresses based on their names. They

It's not really " but I don't want to mention the company
name. How would I set this up in another column? Or, how would I break
apart the names so the first names are in one column and the last name
is in another? I would then be able to combine them with the @email.com
after them. Thanks!

--
JFALK
JFALK's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=393437

drlogarithm

Separate the names using Data/Text to Columns. Select Delimited. The
delimiters are a space and a comma (unless there are no spaces between
the the comma and the first name). Be sure to select your
'Destination' or else the separated names will replace your highlighted
names.

Paul Sheppard

If the name Washington, George is in cell A1, to extract the surname
into cell b1 enter the following formula

=LEFT(A1,FIND("^^",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","^^",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"
",""))))-1)

to extract the First name into cell c1 enter the following formula

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("^^",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"
","^^",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")))))

Hope this helps

To re join the names you can use the function concatenate

--
Paul Sheppard
Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783

JFALK

Actually, shortly after posting this I checked the "Office on the Web"
site. They suggested the "Text to Columns..." option under "Data". It
worked for seperating them out. Then I just combined them using the
&"."& function. Thanks anyways!

--
JFALK
JFALK's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24728